Chapter 9

My body feels like it just woke up from a long sleep and my limbs hum from the energy. I can see boy shaking from exhaustion, but his eyes are firm. The noise starts back up again and the boy lunges. Everything slows down and I block with fierce precision. I can tell, in the next five minutes, that he is giving it his all, short jabs followed by sweeping kicks and an impressive display of endurance and strength on his part. I block all the strikes until I see his movements shaking and slowing down. I then attack and burst out of my position. In less than a minute, he lies in the dust and we are both covered in mud, dirt, and whatever else is on the ground.

I stand above him, hand on his jugular vein. Stepping back, I look out at the students. My eyes catch Hunter looking at me with something akin to respect in his eyes.

"Come with us," he says. I nod, excited for one-on-one training as well as time to recuperate. I follow him and the other instructors as our group approaches a small hut-looking thing. Everyone steps back and looks at me expectantly.

"What?" I question.

"Go in." Hunter urges me.

I don't question it and walk slowly up and push open the door. It swings inward without a sound and I step in. The door slams shut and I whirl to find that the door is locked and bolted shut. A scratching noise alerts me to something's presence. My mind runs pictures of deformed monsters and giant animals. I back up to the door and press hard against it. Maybe it won't notice me. The noise sounds again and the creature steps into the light. I gasp and my heart thumps hard in my chest. Everything is silent for once and that makes me apprehensive. The creature turns to me and I can see its face. I scream in a panic and the last thing I see is a pair of brilliant red eyes before I pass out.

I groan and wait for my pounding headache to subside. When it does, I attempt to sit up, only to be stopped by a large, tan hand. The hand is connected to an arm, which is connected to a torso, which is connected to a neck, which is connected to a head. I gasp and scoot as far away from it as I can.

Memories start rushing back, and I remember the events of the day. Was it yesterday? The person I remember is standing there. He is wearing a black t-shirt and dark pants. His eyes are a brilliant red and his hair is thick and brown. His eyes were why I thought he was a monster. He does not look much older than me, but looks can be deceiving.

"W..w..water?" My voice is raspy. I cough.

"Sure." His voice is deep and thick. A tall glass is held up to my lips and I chug it in a very unladylike manner.

"So, what did you do to the instructors to make them sacrifice you to the monster?" His lips curve up in disgust at the word monster.

"I don't know." The ever-present throbbing in my head has subsided the tiniest bit, and I take in more of my surroundings. I am sitting on a couch in the mysterious house Hunter forced me into. "Where's the monster?"

"You're looking at him." The 'monster' smiles dryly.

"Huh? You're no monster."

At this, he smiles for real. "Sure I am. Not to myself – but to the people outside of my home sweet home."

"What makes you a monster?"

"I'm not a monster, I've just been labeled as such by the instructors. They're just scared of anything with more power than them." His eyes flare ruby-red, and in that moment, I see what the instructors have seen. I could be afraid of him, but strangely, I'm not. His eyes dim, and he offers me a tired smile. "Anyone who has a voice in their head making them stronger must be a monster."

"A voice in your head?" I trail off, is this guy psycho?

"Yeah. What about it?" his voice is suspicious and his eyes narrow into slits. Suddenly, he's tense, coiled tight. Ready to spring.

"Hmm. Oh! Nothing... I think." His eyes are still narrowed, but his posture relaxes the tiniest bit.

"Well," he starts, "Since you are awake now, I guess I'll let you go."

"So, you're not gonna keep me here?"

"No. Why would I?" His eyebrows furrow.

"N-nothing –" I stutter.

"Okay... Well, goodbye."

I slowly get up and walk towards the door.

"Wait!" I hear him shout.

"Yeah?"

"What's your name?" he asks.

"Liora. My name's Liora."

"Nice to meet you, Liora." He smiles. "My name is Soul. I'll see you around." I nod distractedly as I walk out of the strange hut.