1.53 Dragon and Phoenix

"Announcing the arrival of the Emperor!"

The sudden announcement from the eunuch that was in charge for guarding the Empress' inner chamber, sent the palace maids inside to almost stumble.

However, their mistress – the Empress – merely straightened herself from the daybed that she was laying on, and calmly poised herself for the Emperor's arrival.

She lowered her eyes and slightly bended her knees to prepare for her greetings. The attending maids were already kneeling behind her, their heads touching the floor. No one – except the Empress – should directly see or greet the Emperor on their own accord.

When the golden embroidered shoes came into view, Empress Zhen lowered her head in full bow as she greeted him,

"Long live the Emperor. May the Emperor live for ten of thousand of years."

To which, her maids followed in greeting, their melodious voices reverberating in the majestically furnished chamber that could only belong to a queen.

Empress Zhen could not see Emperor Zhang's face. However, she saw the movement - flurry of purple shoes from her limited view – due to her eyes still directed at the ground. The shoes and feet belonged to her maids who scurried like little mice, making their hasty ways towards outside the chamber.

She could only assume the Emperor had gestured for the maids to leave them alone.

As a subdued woman that she was, she waited.

A pair of hands lifted her from her bowing position, and she could not help but to stiffen at his touch.

Still, she did not dare to look at him.

"Dear Empress," The Emperor sighed. He paused after his first calling of her – both were standing still.

"Ying-er..."

Her dainty eyebrows were slightly knotted at the sudden calling of her little name. She let her body be guided by his hand towards the very same daybed.

She stayed silent.

Zhen HeYing(1). 

She was named by her father – Old General Xun. The only daughter of the mighty Old General who played his part in supporting the throne of the Emperor. The only blood sister of the current bearer of the Wolf Seal, General Zhen YongWen. The Imperial Aunt of Zhen BuFeng.

Her whole family members were accomplished and respected personages.

She was named after a beautiful bird – the crane, and a strong bird – a falcon. To be as graceful as a crane, but strong as a falcon.

But her wings were always clipped. 

She became the mother of the empire when she was crowned the Empress.

From birth, she was trained in female virtues. She was the best in the four arts amongst the many females in Da Lang, she was groomed to be a queen.

"If qie(2) may ask the Emperor, for what reason that the Emperor has graced qie with his presence this late at night?"

He had told her earlier as they left the banquet, that he was going to visit her. But even as the sun set and darkness fell, she did not want to hope.

Even as they sat down on the daybed, she tried her best to focus her sight on the lush cushions, the carving of the bed's frame, his robe -

His silk robe, embroidered with figures of dragons in gold. It fit his body so perfectly.

"Ying-er," Emperor Zhang touched her chin suddenly, and gently lifted her face.