Chapter 8: One Nervous Wiccan

When Strange and Ilyanna arrived that afternoon, it was to find not one but three little girls running around the living room of the mansion, each holding a little bamf doll and shouting "bamf" at the top of their lungs as they jumped from one place to the next pretending to teleport around — and occasionally being teleported by real bamfs, who seemed totally entertained by the game and were joining in the jumping around and shouting their favorite word. Occasionally, Kurt would call out to one of them to be careful or not jump from anything too tall, but otherwise, the girls seemed to have the run of the living room, if not the mansion as a whole.

Scott had been the one to answer the door when the two magic makers arrived, with Billy scrambling down the stairs to be there too with a look of anxiety plainly written across his face. Ilyanna, of course, wrapped Scott in a hug as soon as she saw him, and after Strange shook his hand as well, the two magic users turned to Billy, who turned visibly pink at their attention and just sort of waved at them.

"I'm really, really sorry I caused so much trouble," Billy started out sincerely.

Strange approached him with a broad, understanding smile. "These things can happen with less experienced casters," he told him. "Of course, we have much to discuss before we start."

Billy nodded. "Yeah. Yeah. Anything you want to know," he said quickly.

"It's more to what you should know," Strange replied. He lost a bit of the warm smile as he looked over the young man for a moment. "Are you aware that your abilities are expanding at an exponential rate?"

Billy grinned sheepishly. "Um - well, it's been easier to cast spells lately," he said. "But... I guess... with the whole..." He leaned forward and whispered, "With the whole Demiurge thing? I always figured it would happen."

"You need to learn to focus your mind before you have another accident," Strange told him. "The first time — you were lucky. This time has yet to be determined."

Billy nodded. "Just tell me what I need to do to get Kate back to normal," he said. "And I'll do it, whatever it is."

"It's not just about getting her back — but making sure you keep your abilities in check at all times so this doesn't happen again," Strange said with one eyebrow raised at Billy.

"Yes, sir," Billy said quietly. He took a deep breath and gestured for Strange and Ilyanna to follow him, though he paused and glanced at Scott. "I thought maybe we could go somewhere like — a study or something? Somewhere the kids won't go?"

Scott nodded and led the way to Charles' old office. "This should do," he told them as he gestured at the empty room, though he stopped short of entering it himself, standing just outside the door. "It's the quietest spot in the house, and no one will walk in."

"Thanks, Cyclops," Billy said earnestly, obviously still nervous as he shifted from one foot to the other.

"You'll do fine," Scott told him as he rested his hand on Billy's shoulder for a moment. "Just focus and listen to Strange. You got this."

.....

The screaming and giggling had quieted down for lunchtime as all three little girls filed in to have sandwiches made by Leslie Ann's mom — because "they are the best PB&J's ever, Katie!" And even though Katie laughed at them because they didn't make their own sandwiches, she had to admit that it was very yummy.

As the other X-Men came down to the kitchen to get their food, the girls all but tumbled out into the halls and met Logan on the way. He had grease on his hands and arms, and Katie giggled delightedly. "Were you working on your bike again?" she asked.