Reaping

I hear sobbing in the background and turn my head to see an elegant young girl reluctantly walking to the top of the reaping stage where the official female and male tributes for the hunger games stand. And that's when I realize that my sister is District Seven's girl tribute for the 85th Hunger games.  Why didn't I save her? I was too scared from the beginning to think she'd ever be reaped, but yet she has....
——————————()—————————

  "Jonas, Jonas!" I'm screaming as I wake from the one nightmare that has been haunting me for days. Even though I know it won't happen to her. My sister's too sweet for anyone to think she'd be thrown into the games. And not a single person wants to watch her fight to the death. She'd never be able to bring herself to kill anyone, she'd barely last a second in that arena. My eyes are still shut as I fling my worn sheets of my shaking body and embrace the figure standing in front of me, her reassuring voice soothing my fears of a lifetime. "I'm ok, I'm right here." Jonas's voice calms me down and my heart's tempo is quickly slowed down. I squeeze her tighter to make sure she's really there. My eyes flutter open as I take in my surroundings. Today is reaping day, the day everyone in District Seven dreads the most. The day I dread the most. Jonas and my brother Boston are already ready.  On reaping day it's important we wear the nicest clothes we can afford and bathing and grooming ourselves the best we can. I steady my feet and walk over to the dress I've worn every year on this day. The dress is silky blue with lace framing all edges. I'll admit it's a beautiful dress, but I absolutely hate wearing it. I yank it from the filthy, rusting metallic hangar hoping to tear it a bit but it doesn't work. "Dang you silk," I mumble.  Heading over to the wash tub, I run in to Boston, my 16 year old brother who has always dreaded heading into the games. He's strong and could easily kill but his name was added into the boy's reaping ball 23 times for tessare. It's disturbing how easily his name could get pulled and he's not the only family member who's worried for his safety.

I bathe and brush until I'm sparkling clean.  It pains me to see I'm not my usual filthy self but I shrug it off.  As I step out of the washroom, everyone is ready and unwantingly waiting at the door.  I take a breath and head down to the square and the disastrous moment begins. I clench my jaw as District Seven's Capitol escort daintily trots to the front of the stage. It's disturbing how much she's smiling, I mean why would you be excited to choose the kids from a District who are about to fight to the death?
She's still smiling as she approaches the microphone, taps it with the tip of her perfectly polished nail, and begins the so called occasion.  "Welcome ladies and gentlemen, boy's and girls, to Panem's 85th Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor.  As always, ladies first."