|12|

The scratching fits didn't cease. May Rin had to trim her nails short and wrap her hands in thin bandages.

Putting salve on the scratch wounds turned out to be a even harder challenge. She wouldn't let anyone near her neck so when the servants tried she fought them. She even refused her fathers gentleness, biting his hand.

Ciel didn't know what she would do to him but he was going to try. He gently pushed open the door to her room. It was evening and the sun was sending an orange glow over the room and onto her. She was sitting in bed a small book in hand. She looked up at him blankly as he approached but then her look soured as she spotted the salve in his hand.

"No..." she said as he came to her side uncapping the salve.

"Do you want it to infect?" He said moving closer.

"No!" She swatted at him as he got closer. He continued to come closer sitting at the edge of the bed. She scooted away from him facing away.

" lily please" he touched her shoulder which resulted in her hand closing firmly with his face. She had throw her hand blindly, not wanting to see him. Ciel frowned in the painful aftermath letting a grunt leave his lips.

"Lily look at me!" He grabbed her chin forcefully then. She froze as she stared into the sapphire orb in front of her, shocked and afraid.

"Those marks don't matter because...mine was the first and only one that mattered. I made it because...I love you..." ciel let out a breath moving his hands to cup her face, " I love you..."

He placed his forehead to hers letting out a sigh. He flinched when he felt one of her bandages hands slide over his own.

He looked at her as she let out a shaking breath pressing her hand firmly against his.

"I know...So just, get on with it..."

He let his other hand delve into the jar, scooping out the cold pungent salve. She stiffens, clutching on his hands harder.

"Please, Lily...I'll make it quick." He slowly raises his fingers to her neck. He made sure to be so it lightly fear the slightest pressure we bring her horrible pain.

She trembled looking away. Ciel places both knees on the bed leaned into her, placing her head into tee crook of his shoulder as his other hand did the work. He worked quickly as promised, spreading the salve timidly over the swollen skin.
"All done." He said laying a light kiss on her head. He closed the jar without moving away from her, gently rubbing her head with his fingers.
After some time he gently pulled away.
" you should rest..." he said tucking her hair behind her ear. She frowned at this holding on to the fabric of his coat.
"No...stay," she pulled at him.
"Alright, but at least let me take of my coat and shoes," he said kicking off his shoes and pulling out of the sleeve of his coat.

They settled into the covers with their heads pressed together, his hand combing through her hair. She let out a slow breath.

"I'm sorry about your face," she said touching his already darkly bruising cheek.

"I'll...we'll heal. Together," he said kissing her palm lightly

"Don't ever leave..." she said skidding her hands over his chest gently opening the top buttons.

"Well we can't stay in bed forever. You would grow awfully tired of my after I run out of French poetry to recite," he said chuckling slightly. Then the most beautiful sound reached his ear.

She laughed quietly, smiling softly at him.

"You know that's not what I mean," she said pulling away the fabric of his shirt to show his collar bone and her small kiss mark.

It had lost some of its color over the past week but was still tinged red. She brushed her finger over it.

"Remember? We belong to each other." Her hands roamed his chest lightly as a feather.

"Of course I remember. It's the same night I kissed you," he said laying his hands on hers. She placed her lips to his, lightly kissing his.

"And you told me you love me"

"I do"

"Good" she closed her eyes and lay quietly drifting off. He lay a chaste kiss on her brow before he too drifted into a warm daze filled with the sent of the salve and the feeling of her in his arms.

There it is folks. Hope your summer is swell. Love love love you

Firebird ❤️