Chapter 11

Graeme faced a scowling Rhys and waited for his response. The Were turned his back abruptly and contemplated the work being done on the outer walls of the stronghold. Graeme gave him time to think it over.

In the days passed, Amarinda's stomach had grown considerably. It was now two weeks since he marked her his – from the moment his venom had entered her blood stream, the babe within her grew rapidly. Now, a very obvious belly protruded. He spent countless nights marveling over such a miracle. But awe was not the only emotion that swept him. Fear like he had never before known forced him to consider now the safety of his family. With the rapid development of the unborn child, they had no idea as to when she would go into the pains of labor. A child was not something he could keep concealed inevitably – and neither was a mate. His only alternative was to take her across the moors, and to the very village he had grown up in. The cottage his father had secured for his now deceased mother was there, abandoned. Only human occupants resided in the glen. It was too far into his territory for him to be concerned about Hunters, and secure enough not to warrant visits from the Scouts very often. She would be safe.

Unfortunately, he could not make the journey with her. Hunters had been spotted lingering on the outskirts of the boarder. He had ordered the Scouts tripled, and although there was not yet trouble, it was only a matter of time before Hunter or Were did something stupid. The war he had so foolishly anticipated proved more of a nuisance now than anything else.

He contemplated the rigid set of Rhys' shoulders and exhaled a heavy sigh. He had no right to ask this of his friend. Already the man had done too much. But Graeme's absence from the horde would prove detrimental if the Hunters attacked when he was not present. Rhys on the other hand, could get her to the village and no one would bat an eye. Rhys, despite his sense of higher consciousness, was a loyal friend.

"When this is over, I am leaving."

Stunned, Graeme frowned. "Do not be ridiculous. Without the horde you will be vulnerable."

The man flashed him an impatient glance. "I am vulnerable if I help you, and yet I still do."

Graeme folded his arms across his chest and shook his head heavily. "I apologize that you are caught in the middle of this, but there is none other I trust with her life."

Rhys snickered. "I do not like your vampire mate. Still, I suppose none of this could have been avoided."

The quiet resignation in his voice reassured Graeme even more. "I do not want you to leave. There is a place for you here."

Rhys smiled a bitter smile. "No. I do not agree with this – deceiving the horde, calling war on ourselves. You do what you have to for your mate to see that she is well protected, and I do what I must. After this battle is over, if I live to see this thing that you are about accomplished, I will move on."

Graeme nodded understanding. He could not fault Rhys his decision to leave, and he could not fault him his distaste for Amarinda. From birth they had been taught that vampires were demons that needed to feed on human blood in order to survive. How exactly the feud between the two species began, he did not know. Right then however, all that mattered was keeping her protected from the masses and the Hunters.

"When do we leave?" Rhys voice took on a businesslike note once again – a General awaiting his instruction.

Graeme sighed. "Tomorrow at daybreak. You will travel during the daylight hours. The Scouts will not be suspicious of one that travels with a pregnant female, so there should be no trouble."

Rhys compressed his lips in a thin line, but nodded all the same. "What of food? It is a four day ride to the glen. If she hunts there, the people are bound to notice."