1. "It' Alright. I'm Right Here."

"The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring."

Oscar Wilde

A paralyzing dart sounds exactly like something that would come out of an X Files episode and if she remembers correctly, there was an X Files episode where Mulder got shot with one. Except when he did it, Scully just rolled her eyes in that knowing way and dragged him out of trouble. When Aaron Hotchner did it, there was nothing 'okay' about it.

The shot rang out and Emily got a front seat viewing of her Unit Chief falling slack to the ground. Which, on its own, was not that terrifying. A little worrisome, and really weird but generally not the worst thing she'd seen that day. At least, until she glanced down the second time and noticed the blue of his lips and the frantic look in his wide eyes.

"Rossi!" Usually, after they see things like this, generally, they would call out for Hotch but it's Hotch laying on the floor unable to breath as an unknown drug course through his ever-slowing bloodstream, Rossi is the next best thing. "He can't breathe."

Her hands are trembling from the force of the cortisol running in her own veins, at least that's what she'll blame it on.

In the end, she stands beside Rossi as paramedics push an IV through Hotch's prone arm and shout the order to 'bag him'.

She had seen all of this done on television a thousand times before. She watches shows like Grey's Anatomy and House, she'd seen it done to countless actors but when it's real and it's right in front of you happening to someone you lo- someone you care about. It's different. It hurts.

The doctors had assured them that no permanent damage was done, the bit, of course, they emphasized was physical. Then they added the part about how the drugs would remain in his system for the next week and until they were fully gone, he would not have full access to his body. That was something they could not grasp until later when he woke up.

His eyes had been wide in panic and they hardly even noticed the fear until the heart monitor began to beep in alarm. He was promptly sedated and once again they all felt useless and afraid.

The second time wasn't exactly what you would call better.

"Hotch," Emily puts her hands over his spasming wrist, attempting to soothe him. "Hotch, calm down. You were hit with a paralyzing dart the symptoms are wearing off, you-" Her words are falling on deaf ears so she grabs his jaw, forcing his attention to her.

"Breath," she instructs clearly. "It's alright. I'm right here. You were shot with a dart, it had a paralyzing serum in it. Your body is working it out of your system." She releases her hardened grip," blink once if you understand."

It takes him a moment, so they stand in the silence of the room waiting for him to sluggishly blink. He does and she doesn't mistake his slow response for not understanding so she offers him as much comfort as she can.

"Rest, when you wake up, you should be able to sleep." She gives the hand she's still holding down a confirming squeeze," I'll be here when you wake up."

He doesn't argue and she has a sneaking suspicion it's because he can't. Either way, his eyes slowly drupe shut and the lines in his forehead cease to exist.

The third time is an improvement but it's painful.

"E-e-e," his movement had somehow gotten worse. He had found his voice but was hardly able to lift his finger enough to tap her hand. His pain and restriction were humiliating to him but neither was up to him. His body ached from disuse and something so much worse but he lacked the strength and coordination to voice it loud enough to gage Emily.

He did eventually get her attention, but tears had begun to form at the corners of his eyes and he was slowly losing what little strength he had.

"Oh God," Emily bolts upright in her chair, taking the hand so softly tapping against her skin. "Hotch, what's wrong?" She found herself thumbing his tears away without even thinking that the man before her is a static boss but it never occurred to her because it didn't even occur to him.

His lips moved ever slightly in a soundless whisper but he managed, instead, to direct her attention to the painfully green morphine button that lay just out of his reach. When she saw it, she pushed it twice without even thinking. Apologising four times before he could slip back under its control.

Things slowly improved from there. The next he woke up, he was able to speak and that meant he whispered Rossi's name disappointedly, so well, in fact, that Rossi picked up on it and asked if Hotch was disappointed because Rossi wasn't Emily or if it was just because the older man got a haircut. Then proceeded to ramble about how he still wasn't sure if it looked right on him.

With rest came the rest of his body, by Friday he was finally about to stand on his own feet and ultimately released from the hospital.

"Just lay down," wedged, carefully, between Morgan and Rossi is the bold unit chief who is slowly making it so very clear that he is the most stubborn man alive.

Hotch huffs at the suggestion as if his health was peak shape and it's not taking two of his closest friends to keep him standing. "I don't need the couch."

Morgan doesn't care, he pushes the older man on to the couch smirking at Emily who is attempting to get off of the couch to make more room but finds herself stuck as the rest of the team blocks her exit path.

"Dere-" Hotch attempts to butt in but instead has a mug of tea and an assortment of painkillers thrust into his hands.

"If you can get up," Morgan says, hands on his hips," then you can move." Morgan leaves his boss on the couch and gives Emily a clear look which reads, do not help him.

Everyone knows Hotch can't do it on his own so he gives in and sinks into the smooth comfort of the couch only opening an eye to peek at Emily who is gathering her file off of the couch, ready to move.

He surprises them both when he reaches out and mumbles," you don't have to move, Emily. I don't mind you."

Funny enough, those words are the closest thing he's ever come to showing affection to any of them, besides the time he hugged Ried.

So she smiles and settles back down beside him. He's not that bad half broken and drugged. Human and... if she stops and really lets this sink in. He smells nice. Safe, even. She likes it.

"You fall in love with the most unexpected person at the most expected time."

-UnKnown

Guess who's back?

-S.H.