Bucky x Reader- Fear (Bucky's POV)

I was free.

Finally, after 70 years, I was free. I had a life. A home.

I was still unstable- very much so. I tended to avoid people, staying inside my small apartment instead. It was nice to have my own place. I had a nice kitchen. A small sofa. A comfortable bed. I didn't get much rest, though. Nightmares plagued my head at night, stopping me from passing into the bliss of sleep. Memories would slowly trickle down to me. When I had first escaped, I didn't exactly know why. Just that I had to escape that awful place. But now I knew.

After a long while of painful recollection of my past, memories of HYDRA agents' voices emerged. Speaking about some "Project Angel." I didn't give it much thought until I read a yellowed newspaper I had found outside of a recycling bin. The headline read "'FALLEN ANGEL' SAVES HUNDREDS IN BATTLE OF NEW YORK". The cover was a face I recognized. Her features were soft, in an oddly beautiful way. Even in a photo, she seemed to radiate light. She was using some form of force-field shield to shield civilians from a collapsing building. I... remembered the same shield.

Steve. I thought. She was with Steve. I remembered the battle that led to my escape. Dialogue from my commander echoed through my head, his harsh voice bouncing inside of my skull. "Your mission is to find and kill Steve Rogers." he said. After a small while of explaining, he then handed me a file. "This is Y/N Y/L/N. Do not kill her or even engage. We have... other plans for her." Another piece of the puzzle, I thought. I shoved the article in my pocket and started on my way to the market. I wanted to pick up some fruits. As I paid and thanked the lady at the stall, I wandered near the newspaper stand, my bag of plums still in hand. I picked one up and looked at the front page. "BLACK WIDOW AND FALLEN ANGEL'S PASTS REVEALED- HYDRA/S.H.I.E.L.D. LEAK EXPOSES THE HEROES' BEGINNINGS". As I scanned the article, one thing stood out to me. Project.... A.N.G.E.L.? Suddenly more memories rushed to my head. I recalled overhearing something, right before I had left...

"She's out of our grasp, sir. She's got the Avengers protecting her now. The DNA samples were destroyed ages ago. What more can we do?"

"We wait for the perfect time."

"Even if we manage to get to her, you forget her power. She's unstable, she'll blow the place up in fear."

"Her powers are merely defensive right now. You read her file, didn't you agent? It's only a matter of taking her and molding her in our image. So much unused potential.. it's a shame she's been stuck with them."

Then came the time when the headline was "FALLEN ANGEL VISITS SHELTERS IN ROMANIA, HELPS THE POOR". Fuck. HYDRA was after me, and her, and out of all places, she decided to come here? They're guaranteed to be in the country. I read the article. "America's local hero Fallen Angel decided to fly solo for the first time to take a tour in Romania as she visits shelters in Bucharest, using her powers to ease the minds of the poor by... cont. on page 2"

'Fly solo?' That made the whole situation 10x worse. This was it. This was HYDRA's chance. Then, my worst fear decided to make itself present. I heard a grueling voice coming from a table behind me. I immediately covered my face with a newspaper as I listened in. "We've hijacked her plane, sir." He was speaking into an earpiece. "Yes, sir, the flight has been rerouted. No, Stark isn't aware. We did it quickly and cleanly.." FUCK. I had already slipped up and got myself caught on a convenience store camera a week prior. They knew I was here. Not thinking, I decided to dash to my apartment, not looking back. As I approached the back door, I heard a gasp.

"Bucky!" A soft voice rang. I dropped my newspaper. God no. Please, god no. Not her.

I turned around in shock. Her e/c eyes were blank, her translucent f/c shield obscuring them. "Buck." she said calmly. Steve's been looking for you. I'm here to take you home."