Chapter Two

thank you guys so much for all the support that you guys gave me for the last chapter! heres chapter two <3

>>ASHLYN'S POV<<

I've got to leave, just for a day before they come back and ask more questions. I thought as I stood up shakily from where I was sitting in front of the door.

I grabbed the hat from next to me and dashed into the bedroom, the already cracked wooden floor creaking loudly as my feet pounded on the floor.

I lifted up the loose floorboard, shoving past all of the old newspapers that was dated all the way from 1920.

When I found the abandoned and torn down house, I read through the newspapers, only to find old tornado warnings in the newest issue of them.

And based on how vacant the house was of much belongings and how small it was, I assumed the poor family grabbed their belongings and fled, the tornado clearly taking its toll on the completely ruined and hole-filled building.

Half of the house's roof gave way, while half of the bedroom and the kitchen collapsed completely. Roaches and other bugs crawled around the house, leaving it with a nasty smell that I've grown used to.

"Come on, come on," I muttered, moving my hand around the small and hidden compartment until my hand found the small stack of cash that I managed to muster, grunting in satisfaction as I pulled it out.

I counted through the stack, hastily looking out the window constantly to see if the red truck was still there, every time the street still empty.

"347," I counted, nodding. "That'll do."

I only used this money for emergencies, luckily not having to pay any sort of bills since the house was no longer safe for housing, even if I've been doing fine for a few months.

Although sometimes I felt guilty, it was always easy enough to enter a cheap gas station, not grabbing any attention and snatching a pack of beef jerky or canned soup, along with a few bottled waters. Luckily in the state of this side of Lowell, the security systems in the worn down stations were about as secure as the house I lived in.

I checked the window again once more before shoving past a broken wooden post to get out of the room and into the bathroom.

I adjusted the hoodie and the hat, straight back into my disguise. I looked like any gang member that strolled around here, leaving me safe from any attacks since everybody thought I was just like them.

I nodded at myself, clearing my voice again, wanting to make sure my voice was convincing enough to pass as a male.

"My name is Pete. Pete. Pe-ter," I said into the mirror. I grabbed my sunglasses from my sweatpants pocket, putting them on, accidentally knocking the hat off as I moved my hand.

My long blonde hair tumbled out, and I grimaced at the tangles and the oily roots. The last time I took a proper shower was quite a while ago, since the pipes were no longer connected to the city and bottled water doesn't suffice very much.

I flipped my hair over my head once again, making the tacky side-swept bangs. I shoved my SnapBack on top again before it fell out.

I adjusted my sports bra that flattened my chest, pulling at my sweatshirt to make it appear more baggy.

The process to change into my disguise was so familiar that it felt like instinct now. I grabbed the emergency cash and left the house, trying to look casual.

"Where the hell do I go?" I muttered under my breath, panicking as I saw other guys deep in a fistfight off near the fencing.

I turned around and walked the other way, avoiding eye contact from most of the guys passing by. I rarely looked at anybody when I left the house, so they had no idea what my face looked like.