Insanity

small bit of background, john has a sister named meredith, enjoy :)

"You can't keep acting like this!"

"Like what, Meredith?!"

"Like an absolute buffoon! Mom and dad expected someone calm, cool, and collected under their questions, and you couldn't even handle them asking where you work."

"Because you know my job is unconventional, and you know they don't approve!"

"I barely approve!"

"This is what I mean! None of you listen to me, and yet you expect a perfect worker bee to bring home money for mom and dad, so they can stay at home, rather than go to a home!"

Meredith stepped back. "How— how dare you even think something like that! They did you a favor, the biggest favor they could've, by adopting you, by bringing you into this family, and this is how you repay them? By being a deadbeat son, who wants nothing more than to lock himself into his room all day?"

John closed his eyes and counted to ten mentally. "I— I never asked for them to pick me." His voice was barely more than a whisper, and he held onto the counter for support. "Meredith, I didn't ask for this!" The whisper escalated into a full shout, as his temper sparked. "You don't understand what I do for work, you don't understand why I do it, and it's all because you have no sense of compassion!"

In the next room over, John's adoptive parents sat in their lounge chairs. Though their hearing had deteriorated over the seventy-odd years of their lives, they still knew that tonight's fight was about John and his hobbies.

"He's always on that damn computer! What does he even do? Swearing and playing games with people he doesn't even know! It's ridiculous! And pointless!" 

His hand immediately and out of habit moved to hold up his head as he sighed. "I know. I know, and I'm sorry. I'm moving out next week. I was--"

"You're doing what?!" Meredith gripped the kitchen counter and held on until her knuckles turned white. "Why?!"

"Because of conversations like this, Mer! It's not good for my mental state or anything, and I--" 

"Are you saying your mental problems are incapacitating?! Get help, John!"

"I'm fucking trying!" He slammed his hand on the granite counter top, causing a burning sensation to erupt up his arm. 

"Clearly you're not trying hard enough!" She was screaming now, but a little girl ran down the stairs. 

"Mommy? What's going on?" 

"Nothing, princess," Meredith said, glaring at John. 

"Uncle John, what's the matter?" 

"Absolutely nothing, cupcake." The next room over, the little girl's grandparents continued hounding the little girl's uncle. 

"What's Nana talking about? Uncle John's the best!" 

He smiled through a grimace, and hugged the little blonde girl tightly. She was beautiful, unlike her mother and her father. She wore dresses all of the time, and little princess heels with Cinderella charms on them. 

"Thanks, cupcake." He let go of her, and smiled. "I'm gonna go pack up, Mer." He knocked on the wall of the living room, as he stood in the doorway. "I'm leaving." 

"Where are you going?" 

"I'm going to my new apartment. I've got most of my stuff ready but I have a friend that's coming to pick up my stuff in half an hour. I'm tired of being here. I'm tired of being bombarded with jokes and digs at my mental state because you don't understand or you don't get why I sit in my room and play with people I don't know. Because they don't judge me."