Chapter 3 - Fire

Chapter Three: Fire

        School went by fairly quick that day, all anyone could talk about was the party out at Olsen Bay, and I had to admit I too was pretty excited about it. It meant I didn't have to stay at home by myself, and it also meant I should be able to get rid of the creepy feeling I've had since my dream the previous night.

        I have never had a dream that felt so real before. So real that I could actually taste the smoke that filled my lungs, and see every detail so clearly—the fear in that young man's eyes was unnerving.

        I had just walked out the double doors to the front of the school when the hair on my arms started tingling and the necklace—I forgot I was even wearing—felt warm against my skin. I could sense eyes on me, I looked around and just when I was beginning to feel like an idiot, I spotted him again—standing at the edge of the football field near the tree line, white shirt, dark hair and piercing green eyes. He was too far away to pin point any actual features of his face but what I did know was, he was looking right at me.

        Everything else around me went quiet as I locked gazes with the mystery man. I was just about to take a step towards him when I felt a hand grab my shoulder, I screamed as I whirled around.

        "Whoa Seattle, what's got your panties in a bunch? You look like you saw a ghost." Stacy teased.

        I turned my gaze back to the football field, no one was there. I brought my attention back to Stacy.

        "Oh I uh...never mind, I just..." looking back at the field then to her again, "thought I saw something."

        Stacy followed my gaze to the field, "Uh huh...alright then. Nothing's there Ri. Are you okay?"

        "Oh yeah, I'm fine. Must be loosing my mind." I joked, trying to play it off before I lost the first friend I made here due to my insanity.

        "Cool then, hey I was thinking, if you want I could come get ready with you. Then we can all go together."

        "Yeah definitely." I responded almost sounding desperate at the same time, but truth be told, I definitely didn't want to be alone right now. Either I am truly loosing my mind—maybe from the stress of the move, and mom taking off to hunt down one of the most dangerous men alive, or I was truly being stalked, either one didn't sit too well with me.

        Stacy laughed, "Awesome, I'll follow you home."

        I took one final glance at the field before heading to my car, still nothing. It had to be in my head, there was no way someone could pull a Houdini and disappear that fast.

        "Well this is it," I gestured towards my house when Stacy got out of her car.

        "Very nice." She smiled. That's what I liked about Stacy, she didn't come off as a stuck up brat like I was used to. And when she smiled it was genuine, not mocking. I was definitely warming up to her cheery self. 

        I led her inside and gave her a quick tour of the interior. I knew we had a few hours to kill before Tate picked us up at seven, so I decided on making pizza for the two of us, and not that fresh out of the freezer kind either. When I cooked I liked taking the time to make everything from scratch. She was surprised at my cooking capabilities, told me she would be lucky if she didn't end up burning toast.

        We had just finished putting the dishes back in the cupboards when she turned to me, "Idea!" she exclaimed. I didn't like the sound of that.