Suffocating

Nkasi’s father stayed in the bush for days, afraid of coming out. He was witness to the guttural screams of his in-laws as they were torn to shreds by the notorious bush cow that perplexed the village. He could smell the blood of his in-laws and he felt pity for them. He began to accept what people had told him right from his tender age, that the Osu people were cursed, and anyone that associated with them ended up in a calamity. He killed his wife, and his in-laws who came to avenge her death, were met with deaths.
         Nkasi’s father: “I am sorry,   Obiageli. I should have not stained your life with my curse, your family was right, you should have listened to      them"he said as he cried.
     He felt desolate as he thought of his daughter; he wondered how he could get to her, and what she would do if she found out that, in his anger, he had killed her mother. He roamed the bush till he came out to a clearing; it was the boundary between Umuidim and Umuike. But he didn’t go into Umuike, because it was another village that was not welcoming to the Osu people. He kept walking, tracing his path around the river bank. He didn’t know where he was going, but he knew he had to put enough distance between himself and Umuidim.

            Nkasi stayed locked up in her room for days, she refused to talk to anyone, or even eat anything. Obinna went to her door every day, begging her to come out or even accept food, but not a sound came out of her room, except low sobs. Obinna’s mother was becoming irritated by the show, she couldn’t get it off her mind that Nkasi’s father had killed her mother.
        Obinna’s mother: “Let her not die here, we wouldn’t want to be in the police eye” she murmured.
       Obinna’s father: “Are you for real woman? That girl is going through a lot of agony right now” he said shaking his head unbelievably. He thought with Nkasi, his wife had dropped her snobbish attitude towards people of lower class, but he was wrong. She had found reason to dislike the girl, now that she heard her father killed her mother.

         After five days locked up, one day, the family was having breakfast when Nkasi came down the stairs. She was dressed in a black dress, and her hair was wrapped in a black turban.
        Obinna: “Nkasiobi, are you alright?” he asked looking at the gloominess of her outfit. It was not just about the color of her dress, but the sadness about it.
        Nkasi: “I am fine, just mourning my mother” she said in a high pitched voice.
       Obinna’s mother: “Just your mother? Your father is dead too” she quipped, looking at Nkasi from under her nose.
         Nkasi: “I couldn’t care less about him” she said simply. When she said that, Obinna’s mother arched her eyebrow in wonderment.
         Obinna’s father: “Enough of the questions please sit down and eat breakfast" he said and motioned to the cook to serve Nkasi.
        A plate of freshly baked bread rolls was placed before Nkasi, with omelet, sausage, and a jug of milk. Nkasi hadn’t seen food for days, so she dug into the meal and ate like an impoverished refugee. Obinna’s mother just looked at her, with disdain. She saw Nkasi for what she really was, a less privileged child.
        Obinna’s mother: “My son cannot marry this one, besides her background is suspect. How can a man kill his wife?” she thought within.

          After breakfast, Obinna took Nkasi to school. On their way, they kept to each other, each one engrossed in their thoughts. Then Nkasi broke the silence.
          Nkasi: “I don’t think your mother likes me anymore” she said in a voice that was devoid of any emotion, so Obinna could not tell what she was feeling inside.
          Obinna: “Why would you say that, when my mother has taken you as her daughter?”
          Nkasi: “Hmmn, but I am not her daughter, and I don’t think she wants me in your life. Perhaps she has always felt that way, but now that she has a reason, she is going to hold on tight to it. Did you not see the way she was looking at me at breakfast?”
        Obinna: “I don’t like how you are sounding right now. This discussion is over” he said vehemently, clenching his fist, and turned to the window.

   When they got to school, Nkasi just alighted from the car and walked away, without saying a word to Obinna. In class, she couldn’t concentrate on anything that was said because she kept seeing her father killing her mother. Her nights were filled with nightmares, in which she saw her father stabbing her mother with a knife.
      Nkasi: “What happened to you, father?” she didn’t know when she talked out loud. The lecturer had noticed her absent mindedness, and when she spoke out, the whole class turned to look at her.
       Lecturer: “Nkasi, what is going on with you. You have not been listening to a word I said. This is your second year and it is the determining year, I hope you will keep aside any distractions and face your studies”
          Nkasi: “Alright sir” she replied, as the tears clouded her eyes and threatened to fall. She tried to think of a happy time, before she left Umuidim to pursue education, so that she could be able to stop the tears. But all she saw was her mother’s sad face. The tears fell like dominos, and she couldn’t stop them. The whole class looked at her and wondered what happened to her during the short break.
           Lecturer: “Nkasi, are you alright?” he asked. Nkasi packed her books and fled the class. However her woes were not over for the day.
As she fled the amphitheatre where they were having the lecture, she bumped into Nk. The campus diva was decked in a ripped jean with fishnets covering the ragged cuts, and a blush pair of Louboutines. Nkasi was her arch enemy because she was dating the one guy she had loved since there were little.
        Nk: “Are you so blind that you cannot see?” she asked.
         Nkasi, not in the frame of mind for her tantrums, made to rush past her, but Nk held her arm.
          Nk: “I am talking to you, you good for nothing leech” she said through clenched teeth. It was no news that Nkasi and Obinna were dating, and that Nk had been relegated to the background. Her friends who saw her as the queen, taunted her with this fact every day.
        Nkasi: “If I am good for nothing, then you must be the scum of the earth. Just get away from my presence” she said with anger, and flung her hand out, with the intention of loosening Nk’s hold on her arm, but her hand connected with Nk’s eyes, and the latter yelped. Nkasi didn’t wait to see what happened to her, she just ran down the hallway, needing a private place to cry.
Nkasi had thought that she was strong enough to resume school, but she didn’t know that she was still full of tears. She couldn’t go around crying, so she decided to go back home. But she didn’t know what was waiting for her at home.

       She took commercial transport home. When she got home, the house was empty; she thought that Obinna’s mother had gone to oversee her chain of stores. So she crept up the stairs to her room, grateful for the solitude. On her bed, she thought of what she had told Obinna, she knew she was right, his mother had changed since they got back from the village. She was too vested in her emotions with Obinna to quit the relationship. But if it came down to Obinna’s mother opposing their relationship, she wondered who Obinna would listen to; his heart or his mother. She took out the Iphone that Obinna had gotten her, and texted him:

          Nkasi: “I am sorry for flaring up, I am just going through a lot of confusion now. I love you” she typed and hit the send button. Within seconds, Obinna replied with a text message.
          Obinna: “I understand, love. Just know that I am here with you, I will never leave you” he texted.
           Nkasi: “You promise?” she texted back.
         Obinna: “I promise” he replied.

          Nkasi smiled as she read it and laid her head to have a nap, she hoped she would feel better when she woke.
But even her dream was full of woes, as she had the same dream she had, the first night she spent with Obinna’s family. She bolted out of bed, and saw that Obinna’s mother was in the room, and she was not alone. She was with police men.

                ******NOTE********

And there you have it.....
So,I've been questioned as to why my write-ups are always all muddled up..
I'm very sorry about that guys, I'm using my phone to type the whole thing, so it been quite difficult to write and re-edit everything all at once, but i hope this chapter is neat enough to comprehend. I'm sorry this ended in some sorta cliffhanger but I'll be sure to update as soon possible.....  XOXO💗

Question:
                 Have you ever needed assurance in a relationship before?,,, does it even make you feel safe still?
Well i hope Obinna keeps to his words...