Chapter Twenty One

Rebecca Walker

"Rebecca, sweetie, please talk to us," Mama said, frowning when I ignored her once again.

My jaw clenched, and I looked out the window of the limousine. I hope someone stayed behind to record all of that.. maybe report my parents to the police. My brown eyes glistened as the streets of L.A. passed us. I haven't talked in the last eight hours, said nothing to no one for the last eight hours. Everything felt cold when I felt their hands on me once again. Sam was apparently in the other limousine that was following us, and I was only scared about what they could possibly be doing to him.

"Don't 'sweetie' me," I muttered.

"At least try to be mature in this situation, Rebecca!" Papa exclaimed. I shot a short glare at him. "Here, give me that stuffed animal. It's ridi—"

I pulled the blue bunny away from him, giving him an even harsher glare. "I don't think so," I said, holding onto the stuffed animal tightly. "You've already taken away my right to freedom and my friend."

"He's hardly a friend, dear," Mama replied. Her eyes darkened. "He's a stranger. He's dangerous."

"You don't get to decide who are my friends and who aren't."

"You see? He's taught you to rebel against your own parents!"

"I learned that long before I ever even knew he existed."

"Why can't we keep it that way?"

"BECAUSE I AM AN ADULT, AND I CAN MAKE MY OWN CHOICES." The sudden yelling even made the driver stop the limo for a second before continuing. I looked away from them. "Sam has taught me confidence. He's taught me that as an adult now, I should and will make my own choices. He's a role model."

"He's a man of poverty," Papa snarled.

"And you're a man of manipulation and inconsistent trustworthiness," I bit back menacingly. "You wouldn't want Mama to know about your five or so affairs, now would you?" I put a hand to my mouth in a sarcastic manner as Mama looked completely appalled at this. "Oops. My bad."

"Martin.."

"Not now, Hope."

"What do you mean 'not now'?! You've been having affairs?!"

"Rebecca is a young woman. She's probably being delusional."

I sneered as he gave me a sharp look, as if telling me to shut up. "You can tell that to Miss Jessica. You seemed to have a great time with her when I last saw you two together. How's she holding up with her pregnancy?" My eyes darkened towards him, replying to his threatening gaze. "Was it worth the money?"

Mama's eyes widened. She turned to Papa, the wine glass in her hand tightly grasped. "You paid them?!" Papa ignored her, glaring at me now. I shrugged, staring back. "Answer me, Martin! Did you really?" Mama looked at me, her eyes welling with tears. "How long did you know about this?"

"Who? Me?" I questioned innocently. I put my arm on the armrest. My hand held my face as I replied nonchalantly, "Three years. I apologize, Mama, but for how long I've known, it might only be a fraction of the actual time."

As Mama started screaming at Papa, who was now yelling back, I became an onlooker. Watch. Watch the monsters between you two unleash against each other. I opened the little cupboard in the armrest. Feel my own pain. I grabbed a wine glass and poured some sparkling water into it. I sipped on it, intently paying attention to the heated argument as my eyes flickered.

Suffer.

Suffer like you made me.

~~~

As I inhaled the nostalgic scent of the clean— almost too clean— mansion, I growled underneath my breath. I hate this place. The sweet smell of cherry candles and vanilla cream made me feel a little nauseous. Grabbing a small glass from the table near the door, I examined it, my thumb rubbing the light dust. I don't care how much the mansion costs.. I dropped the glass on the floor, my brown eyes watching it as it fell to the marbled floor and cracked into a million pieces. It'll always be tainted.

You could say you expected me to be a sweet, Hufflepuff kind of girl. Too sweet for this world, too kind to be human, and too innocent to be dirtied. That was a cover I put up in front of Sam, but it was my usual face. Underneath the mask was a creature— a creature with manipulative ways and a tainted heart so dirtied that it not only polluted my bloodstream, but my mind as well. You could say it was a much darker side of me.

I heard Papa behind me.

"You do understand that you'll have to clean that up, right?"

I scoffed, whipping around. My arms settled behind me, my fingers clasping together. "That was a funny joke, Papa. I thought I was a princess with everything at my heels," I spat with disgust. The one second I glared at him, I quickly changed back into a sweet, innocent girl. "Miss Karen can clean it up, can't she?"

Mama came from behind Papa, completely ignoring his presence with her eyes red. "Rebecca, go to your room. Your father and I have much to discuss."

As if you didn't already discuss a lot.

"Alright, Mama," I said.

My hand glided across the wall as I headed towards the staircase. I knocked over a potted plant with my arm. "One." The crash alerted my parents, as well as the bodyguards.

I grabbed a box of marbles and spilled the little glass pearls onto the floor, watching them scatter. "Two." I put the box down, glowering over the spheres.

Before Papa could scold me again, I grabbed an open bottle of champagne. Turning it over, the liquid spilled onto the ground. "Three."

I dropped the glass bottle behind me, the glass shattering as I continued my way up the stairs. "Ready or not, here they come." Turning over my shoulder, I gave my parents an innocent smile. "Aren't you simply proud of the child you've given this hell of a life to?" I felt my eyes flicker, and from the reflection of the shiny marble floor, I saw my eyes paling.

I swung open the door to the hallway, shutting it behind me with a satisfying slam.