Chapter One

1/7/2018

7:00 P.M., Pepper Johnson's room.

Point of view: Nico Miller

 CHASE ANDERSON is, to put it kindly, one hell of a cliché asshole. He's just the sort of dick that you hear about over and over again. Unfortunately, I have to deal with him nearly every single insufferable day of my life against my own will.

Perhaps it would all be better if he were actually a cliché asshole, in which he was an asshole to everyone. The truth is: he's not the cliché asshole that I want to believe he is. Chase is just a dick to me. Is he a dick to my friends? No. For some unknown reason, they love the kid. In the eyes of all of my close friends, Chase Anderson is some sort of god. Pfft. So maybe he isn't an asshole, though it hurts to admit, but he is certainly the closest thing that I have to an enemy. Much to my dislike, he's not that big of an asshole, and we merely just don't get along.

He and I have always had a bit of a rough time getting along. Well, that's a bit of an understatement. Chase and I could not get along if the entire fate of the world depended on him and I getting along. We get along like a fork and a toaster. here's just no way for me to get away from this red-head devil of a kid.

"I don't understand why you two must always fight," Pepper sighs, as I am sat on her bed right beside her.

Now, Pepper, she's a different story. Pepper is my best friend, and one of my favorite people to ever walk this earth. I don't know what I would do without this short bitch of a friend. She's incredible. How she's friends with a kid like Chase, I have no clue. But at the same time, I don't understand how any of my friends could manage to be friends with someone such as him, so the entire thing is a complete mystery to me.

Pepper has been my best friend since the second grade, and we've grown up together. She understands me in terms of most things. The only thing that we seem to disagree on is Chase.

"Have you met him?" I scoff, "We've been over this multiple times. The boy practically has his own dick up his ass."

"He says the same about you," she laughs, "It's funny, because neither of you do. You're both too stubborn to admit that you have anything in common and won't let go of your bickering. You guys could be friends."

"Chase is an ass-wipe," I state.

"I'm literally in the same room as you guys," Chase pipes in, and I roll my eyes at the boy who's on the other side of the room, "And just for the record, you're not too great yourself."

Chase has dark brown eyes—dark brown, emotion filled eyes, that I look into as I speak to him. "You're still here?" I question, quite spitefully, "Sorry, I don't think I could be bothered enough to remember unimportant people?"

"Oh," he clutches his heart, "I think that I am quite important to you," he winks, to which I roll my eyes.