How relevant is the Holocaust today?

The Holocaust is a dark stain on humanity's history. A stain which to this day seeps through decades of history and continues to influence the actions of modern day leaders in the 21st century - some for the better, others for the worse. It should be acknowledged that while the Holocaust ended in 1945 upon the fall of Hitler and his fascist government, this did not result in a new age of peace and prosperity. In fact, it did the opposite. The publication of the atrocities committed by the National Socialist (Nazi) government was a double-edged sword. While the publication ensured that the world was aware of the personal attack on the Jewish community as well as other communities, and how it is important to create safeguards preventing such a genocide from happening again, it also inspired a new generation of hate, which was more creative and secretive in their actions to persecute a specific group of people than had ever previously been anticipated.

A country which is secretive in its nature is the nation, North Korea. North Korea has long been in the headlines for numerous reasons, mostly due to its recent experiments with nuclear warheads, but it is also ruled by a leader who actively participates in the persecution of his own people by sending them to concentration camps. While there is no genocide (that we know of) to speak of, it is known that once you enter the gates they remain shut for the remainder of your visit. For those that create a family while there also commit their loved ones for the next two generations to live out their lives there. These camps such as Hoeryong concentration camp are infamous for their similarity to Nazi concentration camps; where the prisoners are beaten daily, raped, murdered, or starved to death. In addition to this prisoners are also subject to horrific human experimentation. The publication of the Nazi's war crimes without a doubt influenced Kim Jong Un and his ancestors to create these concentration camps for their political opponents and those the regime deems undesirable. The Holocaust is still relevant today because it still influences present-day leaders and it needs to be recognised that while the Holocaust of 1941–1945 may be over, similar persecution still continues. It is estimated that since the end of the Holocaust in 1941, a total of 43 genocides have taken place with little intervention from other countries despite the vow to never allow an atrocity like the Holocaust to ever happen again. According to one estimate, between the years 1956 - 2016, 43 reported genocides have caused the death of around 50 million and displaced millions more.

However, it is important to remember the Holocaust for another reason. To ensure that the millions of people who died at the hands of the Nazi regime are not forgotten. It is equally important to remember each individual who died protesting against their own oppression and those who bravely stood against the Nazi powers to protect the rights of those facing persecution. For example the actions of the White Rose Group. A group of adults barely out of their teens orchestrating the means to expose the systematic imprisonment and extermination of the Jews, gay men and women, communists, those with disabilities, gipsies, and anyone else that deviated from the Aryan image. The White Rose Group, comprised of Sophie Scholl and her brother Hans to name a few. But on the 22nd February 1943, Sophie and her brother Hans paid the ultimate price after getting caught distributing leaflets at Munich University. It is important to remember and recognise the sacrifices groups such as the Edelweiss Pirates and the White Rose Group made in the face of adversity - as well as notable figures such as Anne Frank, Etty Hillesum, and many others who found solace in documenting their struggles in a diary, knowing they wouldn't survive. Because without their actions, their words, their protest however slight, one might believe that all sense of humanity was lost during the years 1933-45 as the rights of so many were taken away.

It can be argued that today's society has not learned from the Holocaust. Some leaders of the 21st century continue to vocalise discriminatory views. The 45th President of the United States of America, Donald J Trump for example. Prior to being voted into power Trump stated he would implement; "A total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States", and has since attempted numerous times to do so. Trump has also previously mentioned he was open to creating a database of all Muslims in America, and on a few occasions, he said he would strongly consider closing some mosques. His rhetoric can be compared to Adolf Hitler's due to Hitler's similar response to forcing all Jews to have their faith clearly stated on their documents as well as wearing yellow stars of David with the writing "Jude" on them. Despite the USA among other countries placing various vigils for the victims of the Holocaust the American population still voted a man into power with a similar stance on Muslims as Hitler had on Jews. It is easy to see how the USA could easily go down the same path all too familiar to the German nation - where Muslims are systematically imprisoned or murdered. The Holocaust remaining a very real, terrifying possibility.

Anti-semitism. Homophobia. Racism. Discrimination. They are not things of the past. They are still present. Without the elimination of such attitudes humanity faces repeating history. Anti-semitism demonstrated by the vandalism of a memorial to Holocaust victims in 2014 in Odessa, Southern Ukraine. The vandals graffiting the memorial with Nazi symbols-swastika and wolf-hook. Homophobia demonstrated by the 12th June 2016 Pulse Nightclub shooting in Orlando, Florida, which saw 49 people killed and a further 53 wounded. Racism, shown prominently in the murder of Stephen Lawrence on 22nd April 1993 - a targeted attack on a young black teenager. These targeted attacks continue to take place.

The Holocaust is relevant today because the discrimination which created it still exists.