XX

Twenty

Later in the evening, the brothers arrived at the bunker around nine and shuffled through the main entrance one after the other with Sam leading the way. When the younger Winchester suddenly stopped short in his tracks, Dean slammed right into his back. Muttering an oath, his hand came up to his face to cradle his nose.

"Dammit, Sam!"

"Wait. Something's wrong."

"What are you talking about? Come on, move out the way." Dean sidestepped his brother, maneuvering in front of him on the balcony overlooking the operations room. It didn't take a genius to figure out what the problem was. One look into the dark expanse before him was all it took. "What the hell? What happened to all the lights?"

"I don't know. Could be a blown out fuse."

Annoyed, Dean reached for his phone to make use of its flashlight. Switching it on, he cast the light before him. "I can't see a damn thing. Sam, turn yours on. I ain't lookin' to fall down these stairs."

Sam chuckled at the thought. "That'd be pretty hilarious.

"Just shut up and turn it on."

When they eventually made it down the staircase in once piece, Dean volunteered to go into the electrical room to check the circuit breaker. Sam not knowing what to expect, decided to follow his brother into the halls. When they reached the room, the elder brother made a beeline for the fuse box and popped it open to inspect the switches. A second later, Sam heard the whirring of electricity surging through the air before light flooded the room.

"Someone turned off the switch," Dean then declared as he turned to Sam, his features somewhat hardened. "Who would do that?"

"I don't know."

Stepping away from the panel, the elder brother stalked forward. "Alright, I've had enough. Spill it."

"Spill what?" Sam asked, a look of confusion crossing his face.

"You've been hiding somethin' from me all day. I can't say what, but I got a feeling it's got something to do with why Alaine's been M.I.A."

"Dude, I have no idea what you're talking about. Didn't you speak to her yourself?"

"That ain't the point, Sam. You know something so start talking. Where is she?"

"I honestly don't know," said Sam. "If I did, I'd tell you."

Pursing his lips, Dean threw a finger at him and threatened, "If I find out you're lying, I'm kicking your ass, you hear?" before storming out of the electrical room.

Sam quickly followed after him. He scurried down the hall, trailing behind his brother. "Dean, wait," he called, out of breath. "Hold on a second—"

Abruptly, the elder Winchester came to a halt at the library's threshold with Sam stopping just a few feet away from him. As he gazed into the room, his eyes wide, a cacophony of sounds erupted and he was left bereft of words as two figures jumped out from behind a bookcase.

"Surprise!"

Dean couldn't believe what he was seeing. He blinked once, then twice, his gaze flickering back and forth from the two welcoming faces smiling at him.

"Charlie? Jody? What...what's going on? What's all this—"

"It's your surprise birthday party, you big lug!" beamed the small redhead, tackling Dean with a hug. Her arms flew around him, her face burrowing into his chest as she squeezed him tight. "I hope you like the decorations. They were a bitch to put up."