Chapter 30

Note: the song quoted in this chapter is called Oh, What a Life by American Authors. It's a song I listened to a lot while writing this story and even though it's just a placeholder to use in that scene I'm not a songwriter so I won't be writing an original song for that part any time soon ;)

***

        When Morlene said people were hiding under the Capsize I didn't think she meant "literally under the establishment itself" but rather "under but a little to the side".

The revolution had a lot of time since winter to dig a tunnel from one of the storage rooms of the pub to what I can mostly compare to a crater underground. Or like a big... bowl but with a lid on it and the lid is like fifty feet of earth.

But this bowl is big.

I'm stood in the mouth of the tunnel directly under the ceiling and it smells like wet dirt and blood at once, staring down on what must be five thousand people if not more. There's a middle area in the bottom with a flat ground and several stairs are making it easier to get to several levels or rows of more flat surfaces, much like the audience area in the theatre. It's rough and uneven but functional.

I'd still put up a tripping hazard sign.

Tripping is the least of these people's problems though. The fit is loose enough but not entirely comfortable, many of them are on their backs on the ground, crying out in pain while others are helping out with their aid. There are piles of blankets being carried around, several contained campfires are used to boil water, the smell of disinfectant is lingering in the air; the scene looks like something straight out of a war painting.

So, a war, basically.

"Thank fuck you're all here," Lourdes sighs of relief and runs up the stairs towards us, hugging Leo with one arm and Morlene with the other. "Did you find what you were looking for?"

"We found way more. I'll tell you later. What's the situation here?"

"We brought in as many people as we could. The last troop went out an hour ago to look for more willing refugees. As soon as they're back Angel closes down the entrance."

"Is that a good idea?" I ask, still browsing the crowd. "I mean... you..."

"We're good on air, Morlene and Angel enchanted the place to constantly recreate the oxygen we breathe in."

"Wait, you can do that?"

"Elemental magic is like, literal child's play," Morlene scoffs theatrically.

"So why are we closing the tunnel?"

"Ever since shantees split up in two groups, the one that wants to see Caelmoor burn started ratting others out. We don't want to risk any of them telling tales to Zavier's loyalists about our hideout," Lourdes explains. "They shouldn't be able to find us here though if we conceal the entrance. What worries more is these people will need supplies. More medicine, more food, more clean water."

"Keep Angel on healing duty, I'll go get supplies."

"On your own?" Cephas asks. "There's no way."

"There is a way and it's called magic. I'm stronger than you know, and much faster on my own. You help Lourdes and Angel keep these people alive and protected. I'll be back soon with everything I can carry."