Chapter 2

Rose nodded. “Right, Time Lord. Is that supposed 't ring a bell?”

“Nope, not here on Earth any way. All still to wrapped up in their own little insignificant trees. Ignorant apes. Never mind how many times you try to safe the lot, what d'ya get in the end? Nothing, not one single word of gratitude.”

“Sorry,” Rose mumbled a little taken aback. The Doctor waved her apology away and walked up to her again.

“Now this little fellow; gets thrown right in the middle of my path. Wouldn't have noticed, had I been anywhere but here on Earth. 's Not strong enough yet. They must have known I'd be here.”

He brushed a roughened knuckle softly down the baby's cheek, suddenly not seeming so fearsome any more. Rose felt her stomach do a back flip when her gaze caught his icy blue eyes just for a moment. His eyes trailed down her figure for a few seconds and she bit her lip. His expression didn't change, the frown remained and Rose slapped herself inwardly for being so ridiculous. He wasn't even human for Pete's sake.

And then he was gone. Moved away like he was burned and he stared at the infant even more shocked than moments before.

“No!”

He took his metal pen-thingy out of his pocket again and pointed it at the baby.

“Don't hurt him!” Rose yelled, bending over the baby in an attempt to shield him from what ever it was the Doctor was doing.

“Why in the world would I hurt a baby? Oh, this?” The Doctor's eyebrows quirked up, realizing he had not yet explained his little gadget.

“This is a screwdriver; sonic. Doesn't harm, just need it for confirmation.”

As if that explanation was satisfactory, he aimed the sonic at the boy again and this time Rose hesitantly let him, though not before she moved the baby to a more ready-to-run position.

“Not possible.” She heard him mutter.

“Follow me!”

His harsh voice was suddenly all commanding and powerful and Rose stood up before she could even think about refusing.

He led her through a maze of corridors, until they reached a room that resembled a surgery. There she paused at the threshold and asked, increasingly worried, for there was no way she could find her own way out of this weird spaceship: “What are you going to do?”

He didn't answer, just walked up to her with a small syringe-like device.

“What are you doing? Get away with that thing, you're not going to dissect my baby!” She screamed in his face before she tried to make a run for it. But he stopped her, grabbing her firm round the waste with his free hand.

Rose went rigid when he started to whisper in her ear, but as his words were slowly processed by her brain, she calmed down.

“I am not going to hurt you or the child.”

Nothing in the world ever sounded more true to her, so she let out her breath and he leaned back a little.

“Trust me!”

He was not one for long explanations, she thought as she held out the little boy for him to examine.

She didn't think he could be this gentle, when she watched him take a little blood sample with the utmost delicacy. The baby gave a little whimper, but was quickly soothed when the Doctor's large fingers touched his temple.