Mirror of Justice

Mirror of Justice

By Tony Dracofuego

Based on the book: Junipero Serra, California's Founding Father

By Steven W. Hackel (2013)

Earl Nissen

67972 Nicole Court

Desert Hot Springs, CA 92240

(913) 548-5067

"tonyearl6@yahoo.com"

CAST

FATHER JUNIPERO SERRA, a 53 year-old Franciscan priest from Spain, slim, walks with a limp on the left leg. Wears a long brown cassock with large rosary and cross.

FATHER PALOU, a 43 year-old Franciscan priest from Spain. Dark-haired. Same cassock and rosary. Has a round belly.

DOMINGA DE JESUS, a 35 year-old widow with African-American features.

MARIA PASQUALA, a middle aged woman with dark skin and long hair.

LIEUTENANT MELCHOR, a middle-aged military man who wears a sword.

TALL MAN in country garb.

T0WNSPEOPLE of Valle del Maiz, various ages and sexes.

SOLDIERS with uniforms, lances, and swords.

COLONEL ANTONIO, a 30 year-old soldier who wears a sword.

OLD MAN in simple country garb.

WIFE OF OLD MAN also in plain country clothes.

SON OF OLD MAN in simple clothes.

MULETEERS who wear vests and patched up shirts and pants.

Mirror of Justice page 1

ACT I

SCENE 1

NARRATOR

When Franciscan monk Father Junipero Serra left Mallorca, Spain, he crossed the Atlantic Ocean and arrived in New Spain in 1739. He walked 200 miles from Veracruz to Mexico City with his fellow priest, Father Palou. He wanted to meet local Huastecan people and familiarize himself with this tropical land, so different from the dry island of Mallorca, his birthplace. He was age 36 and traveled with a long-time friend, Father Palou, who was about 10 years younger than Father Serra. During this long hike Father Serra suffered a grave wound.

(FATHER JUNIPERO SERRA and FATHER PALOU walk along a road.)

FATHER JUNIPERO SERRA

Here is a small creek, Father Palou. Soon it will be dark. Let us cross it and make a shelter across the road.

FATHER PALOU

But Father Serra, the water is too deep. Could we not rest here tonight and cross over tomorrow?

FATHER JUNIPERO SERRA

Oh ye of little faith! Follow me!

(FATHER JUNIPERO SERRA jumps to one rock, then another. But as he tries for the third one, he slips, falling into the fast-running creek.)

FATHER JUNIPERO SERRA

Aiyee, Son of God, help me!

(FATHER PALOU jumps in and pulls FATHER JUNIPERO SERRA out of the water. As he tries to stand him up, FATHER JUNIPERO SERRA cries out in pain and falls forward.)