Return(I)

I hadn't used my key in years. It's metal had almost rusted over with disuse and forgetfulness. No one had keys nowadays, there was simply no use in them. Voices and AIs were all the rage in cities such as my hometown, so, there was no reason to have keys. A car? I hadn't seen a purely self-operating car in years. Countryside's even had self driving vehicles, cities probably had half of a population without the skills to drive.

So, having to sit down my luggage and pull out a key was probably the weirdest thing I had done in a while. My father had probably gotten a new alarm system at some point. One that didn't remember my face or my voice. Not that I minded much, even if it was a little frustrating. The AI wouldn't even argue with me about my identity. All it seemed to care about was the fact that I wasn't recognized by the system.

It took a few moments to find the small circular thing in the depths of my purse. There were points I had contemplated throwing this thing out and never returning to this house again. However recent events had led me in other directions. Mostly, college had ended for me a little under a month ago. The plans I had... were destroyed by the lack of jobs in my industry. My hope was that my father, a well known artist, could get me somewhere with the music I loved.

"This could have been so much easier..." I mutter softly to the AI installed in the door. My eyes glance over the small monitor on top before I hold up my small circle key. Even if it was old school, it was still pretty techie and new. At least, to people from the past it would be. My father had been raised on these small circle devices. Before AIs had been trusted completely people would carry around these little escape exits for their simple AIs. This handy dandy key just so happened to be one of them.

"System failure. Unregistered human at front door. Contacting help." The AIs cold and calculated voice filled the air almost like a mechanic lullaby. It was just short of sweet, in my opinion. Or it would be if I wasn't in this situation.

"Oh come on! This is my father's house!" I let out a huff, sticking my foot out to kick the door harshly. My bone-filled foot hit the heavy wooden door and bounced back with a crack, pain radiating from my toe. "Oh FUCK!"

I let out a groan of frustration as I clutch at my hurt foot. It was sure to be red and swollen, with perhaps a broken bone here or there. Either way it hurt! For a few moments I found myself hopping around like a lunatic. My foot was held in my hand like a cake would be to a child. Perhaps I should have been more cautious with it...

"Hello?"

It was that voice that shocked me out of my daze. That monotone voice that made my hops of pain stop and my injured foot fall to the cement almost silently. Not only had I been caught in my moment of shame, but it was definitely an Android that had caught me. Looking up, my suspicion was confirmed.

The thing had rather striking green eyes on a monotone looking face. Almost like the thing had never smiled and would never attempt it. His hair was cut as short as it could go, allowing me to see the perfect shape of his head and the flashing LED that was attached to the side of his skull. Right now it was flashing yellow, red for a second, then yellow again. He saw me as a threat?

Frankly I was fine with that. I wasn't too fond of androids either. Just knowing my father had gotten one after my departure almost made my blood boil. Why an Android? Why not a human nurse? Wouldn't my father enjoy that a little more than a hunk of metal with no emotional capacity?

"Where's my father?" I manage to mutter. My eyes were scanning over every small detail of the man in front of me. The disheveled shirt he wore, torn in a place that was easily seen. The clothes he wore... not Android attire. Of course it was up to the master what their androids wore but regular clothes? This Android could pass as my father's son! Without the LED even I could mistake him for a true caretaker.