Prologue

So much crying. So much yelling. I can't think straight because of it.

The baby is being whisked away. My sister is almost lifeless on the hospital bed. Her husband is ballistic, almost like a primitive animal. Nurses rush him out of the room so they can work. They must not have noticed me because they let me stay.

Three beeps.

Two beeps.

Four beeps.

Two beeps.

One beep.

Flatline.

----

*This can't be happening again. I just lost him, I can't lose my sister too.*

It wasn't supposed to turn out like this. Her little girl is supposed to be in her arms, with her hand wrapped around her daddy's finger. I'm supposed to get my chance to hold her; my precious niece.

But instead, my sister was ripped away from me, too.

Everything was perfectly fine a couple weeks ago. My sister was glowing, ready to meet her daughter. Paul and I were getting ready for our big exams coming up. Dad had hardly given me a difficult time at home.

*Why does this all have to happen to me?*

A nurse comes out, asking where the father is. I have to tell her that the father ran off, and I don't know where he's heading. I've tried calling him but his phone is off. The police try to track him down, but aren't able to find him for days.

-----

My sister's will is read off by her attorney; I didn't even know she had an attorney, let alone wrote a will. The father didn't even show up today. I'm numb to most of what's being said, until he says something that will change my life forever:

"In the event something happens to me and my husband abandons our daughter, I entrust my sister, Evangeline Bennigan, to care for her. The father must provide full child support to our daughter, so as to not fully burden my sister.

"To my Evangeline: I'm so sorry if it came to this. If my husband has truly run off, please name my daughter Gracelyn Presley Bennigan. I want no attachment of his last name for my daughter besides her DNA. I trust you, sissy. I wouldn't trust the care of my daughter with anyone except you. You will be great and I will always watch over the both of you."

The tears finally come. I haven't cried since he left me, too, but I can't take it anymore. But this is the last day I cry. I have to stay strong and keep going. Not just for myself, but for this baby girl that just entered the world.

I finally get to see her after the meeting with the lawyer, and I'm amazed at her beauty. She looks just like her mother.

I know nothing about raising a child, let alone my own niece, but I'll learn along the way. I'll keep surviving, graduate high school, and move away from this damned town and start anew. I'll do this for her, if not for myself.

I'll be the mother figure she deserves. I'll be there for her when no one else is.

*But... will anyone ever be there for me?*

Trailer to the side.