Chapter 34

Hi,

as promised, I'm making amends and you're getting a longer chapter this week :-) I think some of your questions as to the "magic" being used in the last chapter will be answered. Still, what do you think, what is going to happen next? And what could Andy have meant in the final sentence? Oh, and you must listen to this: I found another epic song which, I think, is perfect for this chapter, it's "Count it from zero" -  Fate/Stay Night! Enjoy  :-)

Thanks for reading and have a great week!!

Lara

_____________________________________________________

Chapter 34

I stared at them, caught up in a momentum that slowly, but surely came to a stuttering stand-still. After two weeks in near-isolation this moment seemed too remote to be real. The urge to move forward was like an itch in my fingertips, my feet ready to move forward and–

Yeah, and what? Defy physics and slip into that eerie way of moving like the undead behind me? Like Alexander. I was no longer a witch, and no longer a part of them.

"You're here." The words tumbled out of me – silent and caught up in wonder.

"What are you waiting for? Come with us." Giuliana said, her left hand still outstretched, manipulating the wall of water behind me. The words were delivered in a snarky rush, but her lips were upturned, her eyes shiny with what might have been unshed tears.

For a moment I just stared at her, feeling the familiar rush of her magic beating against my skin. It felt different. Like a familiar piece of music someone played just a little behind the beat, the melody carrying the right notes, but coming through as an acoustical blur.

At least I could feel it.

Andy was scanning the scene around us, his face wrought up in that particular expression of concentration he used when working with the Force. His eyes got caught on something behind me instants before he stepped forward.

"We've got to go. There's a horde of Alexander's vamps on some sort of stand-by around the compound and they're not going to be happy to see us."

He was talking to me in a casual tone of voice, but the tousled hair, sleep-deprived eyes and his rumpled T-Shirt said he hadn't caught enough sleep these past few days.

I turned back. The wall of water was cumulating like a horizontal, standing waterfall behind my back – familiar elemental magic that smelled of sea salt on warm skin, sunshine and Giuliana. Somewhere in the middle Zack's outlines appeared like the vague shadow of a predatory fish.

"The vampire is fine. I haven't hurt him yet, but I can't hold him much longer without doing it," Giuliana said.

Could I, should I just leave Zack? The urge to take a deep gulp of air was staggering, overpoweringly strong. I gave in and opened my mouth, took in a lungful and instantly wished I hadn't.

The swift beat of a human pulse leaping under my tongue, the intoxication exploding in my mouth. Blood and the staccato urgency in Alexander's voice when he stopped me.

The feeding that happened just a few minutes ago leapt into the forefront of my mind. I was no longer human. Could I even be trusted to be with Andy and Giuliana without hurting them?

Why were they here to begin with? And what were they not telling me?

I stared first at Giuliana, then Andy. Both of them were meeting my gaze unflinchingly.