Kind Kristine

Kristine POV

I walked into the overly crowded cafeteria. It's only lunch and all of the cliques have rejected me. They said I "talk to much" and that I'm a "nuisance."

Pfft, yeah, their loss.

I walked to the back of the cafeteria, feeling out of place.

I sat at a table with a red headed girl.

"Hi," I said and she looked up from her notebook. She smiled and went back to writing.

"I'm Kristine, what's your name?"

She took a small whiteboard out of her back pack and started writing something down. When she showed it to me, it said "Adela."

"Well, hi Adela." I grinned, kinda confused as to why she wrote it.

She smiled back.

"Um, why don't you talk?"

She sighed and started to write. It said "I haven't spoken in years. Words start problems and I don't need anymore problems."

"Oh."

I watched as her hand moved and formed words. It said:

"If you don't want to be my friend, I get it. Just leave now."

"Adela, just because you don't talk doesn't make you any less of a good person. Now, of course I wanna be your friend. You seem pretty cool."

"Thanks." Was her reply. I took out some looseleaf and wrote "your welcome" on it. We laughed and I started to eat, watching her closely.

"Did you eat?" I finally asked.

She wrote "yeah, of course..." I studied her, noticing she was lying, but didn't push anything.

"What class do you have?"

History.

"Me too!" I smiled and threw away the rest of my lunch, watching her reaction. Her face remained expressionless, which made me think I was being paranoid.

We packed up our lunch and went to class, just as the bell rang.