Chaper 1

Kristine POV

I greeted Adela at our first period class, History (the order changes everyday), She looked at me and started tugging on her sleeves a bit.

I sat next to her and pulled out my iPhone to listen to music.

"Hey Ade, wanna listen to music?" I asked, and she jumped, clearly startled.

She nodded and I handed her a headphone and my iPhone.

"You pick the song," I clarified. She scrolled through my music, looking like she was in heaven- music heaven that is.

When she finally decided, it was Skyscraper by Demi Lovato.

When our teacher entered, I quickly put the song on pause and put my iPhone away.

"Okay class, since we are working on settlers, we are going to work on a project." I leaned forward, intrigued. "You guys have to dig around your past, see if your family was important."

I raised my hand part way.

"Yes, Kristine?"

"What if you're... What if you're adopted?" I all but whispered.

"Oh, then try to investigate on your adoptive family's past." I nodded and heard whispers like "she's adopted?" And "she was so annoying her parents didn't want her."

Tears filled my eyes as I heard the latter. It was true. My parents didn't want me. They just left me at an orphanage, where I didn't get adopted until I was six years old.

I looked down to my paper and pushed all thoughts away. The rest of the class period I kept my head down and just barely listened.

At the end, I picked up my stuff and left class before anyone could say anything.

Adela POV:

Kristine was adopted?! But... But she always seemed happy. Is she like me? No, probably not. She was way better at coping than me.

Just as the bell rang, I watched her leave. Picking up my stuff, I ran after her. Besides, we have the same schedule.

I ran and ended up next to her. Then, I got an idea.

I pretended to fall, and moaned in "pain."

Kristine swore under her breath and crouched down next to me.

When she saw I was faking, she swore again.

"What do you want Adela?" She asked impatiently. I took out looseleaf, asking if she was okay.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She averted her eyes. I raised my eyebrows and wrote I've used that excuse way too many times to believe you.

"Can you just let it go?" She said harshly. I'm pretty sure hurt was written all over my face, by the way her features softened, but I quickly masked it.

I wrote something on the paper and left. As I walked away, I watched her reaction to what I wrote. Regret flashed in her eyes.

I wrote I knew it was too good to be true.