3. As The City Falls

The white truck hurtled down the streets of suburbia that were quickly falling into bloody bedlam. It was obvious that whatever was happening was spreading at an accelerated pace. Gunshots rang through the morning air.

People's screams rose in a cacophony. Cars careened crazily through the streets. At times it was only Katie's quick reflexes that saved them from an accident.

Beside her Jenni hit the Redial button once more. Katie couldn't bear to look at the phone and see Lydia's beautiful face smiling out at her.

If this wasn't the end, it sure did look like it. It had to be terrorists. Some sort of weapon that made people crazed. PCP, something. Katie rubbed her mouth with her fingers. That had to be it.

Since Jenni's proclamation of the end, they had both been silent. It was too much to absorb.

Too much to comprehend.

They just had to keep moving.

They had to keep going.

But where?

If only her Dad would answer his cell phone. Of course, he was probably going nuts trying to reach her. She could see him now in the center of the hub being the strong police chief of legend. Big Bruce was certainly doing his best to get this insanity under control. Tears threatened to fall as she thought of his strong craggy face under his military buzz cut. It was a soothing thought in this moment.

And then his voice filled the truck cab.

"Hello? Katie?"

And Katie started to cry as Jenni said, "No, but she's here with me."

Katie grabbed the phone away from Jenni. "Daddy!"

"Katie, are you and Lydia okay?"

Katie shook her head and whispered, "No, no. I'm fine, but Lydia, she didn't make it. She…Daddy…she…"

"I'm sorry, Katie-baby. I'm sorry."

She could tell by his voice that he truly was. Despite his misgivings with her lifestyle, he had come to accept and be quite close to Lydia. Though her mother had remained blissfully in denial until her death, her father had tried hard to understand. His painful, sometimes embarrassing questions had only showed her how much he was trying. And when he had shown up at her wedding, dressed in his military uniform, beaming and near tears, to walk her down the aisle, she knew that he loved her even if he didn't understand her completely.

Now they shared a moment of silence over the woman Katie had loved so much.

"I'm sorry, honey," he said again. "But you can't let it affect you right now, understand?"

"Yes, I know. I'm trying to keep a cool head."

"Good girl." A tinge of pride crept into his tone, though it remained dominated by fear. "Listen, Katie, whatever the hell this is, it's all over the city. You need to get down to the police department. We're barricaded in and you'll be safe here. We got the National Guard on its way."

"Okay, Daddy. Okay. We'll be there as soon as we can."

"Katie, be careful." His voice was rich with emotion and she wiped a tear away.