OII. HIS MAJESTY

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔇𝔢𝔞𝔱𝔥 𝔬𝔣 𝔞 𝔖𝔭𝔞𝔯𝔯𝔬𝔴OII

OII.  HIS MAJESTY

                        I REMEMBER THE MOMENT I REALIZED MY FATHER WAS DEAD.  I was a child, but I can empathize with the new King.  To wake up one day to the news of your fathers passing, then to be told you will take his place as King, it is life changing.

            The chosen Sisters and I are in multiple horse-drawn carriages on our way to the palace, dawn beginning to melt over the horizon.  The few sun rays peeking over the treeline give us no warmth in the carriage.  I keep glancing outside through the small windows on the doors to see where we are, to memorize the pattern of trees, how they feel, what they're saying.  My magic allows me to hear them singing with the wind–it is one of the few things I enjoy about my magic.

            Today the trees are uncomfortably quiet, as if they are mourning, too.  They usually sing with the sparrows and finches, but they too are quiet.  No matter what the reason is, it is always unnerving when nature is silent.

            Sister Osvora who is sitting across from me has taken notice of my discomfort.  "What are they saying?" she asks quietly.  She knows of my special ears and talents.

            "They are silent," I answer.

            She nods, understanding the peculiarity of it.  Sister Osvora, though a unwavering warrior, is quite tender when speaking to me, especially about my magic.  She is the one who has seen my deaths and the pain I am in once I awaken.

            Our travels will not last much longer and my nervousness is growing.  We are assigned to protect the new King of Rusbincov and the Queen Mother.  This is the most important task anyone could be assigned.  Mother told us the late King was assassinated by a trio of warlocks who wore the crest of Algresha.  Algresha is currently ruled by a tyrant just a few years my senior, a man who slaughtered the last king and queen to take their throne.  Now the war has seeped into the country, well past the war lines Rusbincov and Manork had fought tirelessly to hold.

            Our King's death shows just how powerful Algresha is becoming.

            "We are almost there, Sisters," Sister Avrenya says, bringing me out of the trance of my thoughts.

            "This is our tell to lower our veils.  We may soon be in the presence of royalty, but we must always keep our faces covered unless unveiled by a Saint or a member of the royal family.  The woman who founded the Covenant of Night wrote, "For only Death and Dead shall see our trueness, for we are Night, we are Faceless.  Gold hands may unmask us, for they are above the faceless commandment."  She wrote that to protect the future generations of Night Walkers, yet it has gotten some women killed for not following the rule, even by accident.