Brave

Written for 'writing prompt' #27 by ChickLit

Word count: 1094

***

"Are you sure about this, ma'am?" her maid, asked her.

"Do you have a better idea?"

She simply shook her head.

As she stepped outside her room, with the only person she currently trusted, she saw her brother running towards her. She faltered a little in her steps as he came closer. He maid probably sensed her distress, as she put a hand on her back in an attempt to comfort her. 

"You will go inside the room at once. I'm not going to let you go through this!" he said as soon as he reached her.

"I will do no such thing. Now, unhand me!"

"Listen here," he said, disregarding what she asked him to do, "I know you think that whatever that has happened was wrong, and I agree with you. You don't understand how businesses work; it's ruthless. You are merely acting on your instincts. You've always been soft, which I why you need to stay away from this. They will tear you apart."

"Don't misunderstand my softness as a weakness! I may not understand business or anything related to it, but I do understand what it means to be a human. Have you seen the reports, or the pictures? Men, women, children, old, young - no one was spared!"

Her brother, instead of answering her, lowered his head.

Seeing him like this, she said in a calmer tone, "I know why you are trying to stop me. I know the kind of risk I'm taking. But even you know what he has done was inexcusable. His actions were going to ruin this family someday, but he never listened to me, or anyone. I'd overlooked a lot of unspeakable acts of his in the past, but not anymore."

Her brother opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out. He knew that she was a righteous woman with strong morale, which was why he was also surprised by the amount endurance she had shown against him for so long. Everyone had  limits, and this was hers. 

She gently took his hand hers and said, "I appreciate you looking after me. I always had. But this time I need your support, not your protection. Can you give it to me?"

He nodded.

She started to walk towards the living room, where the media was waiting for her statement. She invited almost every news channel to her home for what was being termed as the 'biggest reveal ever'. It wasn't the case, though. Everyone knew that her husband was a corrupt and ruthless businessman who always got what he wanted. His high-end connections with politicians, other businessmen and even some of the so-called social activists made him practically untouchable.  His status was what prevented anyone from going against him. She knew how he would make those who rebelled against him disappear. No one would ever hear from them again. Moreover the 'lack of evidence' always saved him, thanks to his loyal lawyers and the cops whom he kept happy by regularly 'filling their pockets'. 

He scared her, if she were to be honest. Even though he was a loving husband and a good father to their children, she knew he wasn't a good man. Time and again she had spoken to him about changing his ways, but her pleas fell on deaf ears. He would, instead, reprimand her for getting too involved into his business. She did back off, though, until she heard how his company was the direct cause of what was being termed as the 'worst industrial disaster' to have ever happened. She could still remember the report she somehow managed to get her hands on.

Cause: Leakage of methyl isocyanate from Plant Number Thirteen. The tanks C110, C111 and C112 had been filled above the prescribed limit. No actions were taken in order to combat this situation, as per the supervisor of the said plant. The supervisor, although, maintained that he had bought this issue to the knowledge of his manager. 

Result: Areas within three kilometers, starting from the boundaries of the plant, are now heavily contaminated. People living in this region died the moment they inhaled the toxic fumes. Those who managed to survive are now facing serious health complications. Due to the nature of the toxic substance, doctors have claimed that there are high chances the disability that the survivors suffer will be passed down to the next generation.

Actions taken: The supervisor, unfortunately, was in the plant at the time of the incident and is not alive anymore. The manager has disappeared under mysterious circumstances. 

The 'mysterious circumstance' was definitely her husband. She had overheard him talking about it with someone on the phone. That was the breaking point for her.

As she reached her destination, she saw reporters from various channels waiting patiently for her. The huge window behind them poured in bright sunlight that brightened the entire room. It was a beautiful day and, normally, she would have taken her kids to the beach so they could enjoy the warmth of the sun. 

It was a shame that a sunny day like this would be wasted, as there was a storm brewing in house that was about to destroy her husband's life, and ultimately hers too.

"I have evidence that the CEO was very much involved in this whole ordeal." she said as she started addressing the media.

***

"You surprised me. I never thought you had it in you." he said from the other side of bars of the prison.

"I did what was right."

"You ruined everything."

No, I saved you from becoming an absolute monster.

"It was you who told that manager to shut his mouth. It was you who killed him so that the entire blame would eventually come on him. You ruined everything for yourself so don't blame me!" 

"Do you think I had a choice?"

"You always had a choice. You decided to choose the wrong one."

She got up from her chair and started to move towards the exit. But before she could reach, she heard him speak again.

"You know I will get out from here soon. And when I do, I will find you."

With a sad, but determined look on her face, she turned to him and said, "I will be ready for you."

***

Note: The disaster in this story has been inspired by the 'Bhopal gas tragedy', 1984.