Chapter 28

Come on Josh. Where are you?

   Zane tried not to fiddle with his fingers as he kept himself up against the wall in the dark hallway. He didn't know how long he'd been out there, but it felt like an hour. Maybe more. Why did I agree to this? I feel stupid just standing out here. Josh probably forgot and is sleeping peacefully in his bed. Like I should be. Zane glanced down at his watch. It's 3:03 a.m. What could be taking him so-

   Zane tensed up when he felt something brush against his arm. No, not brushed- grabbed. He could feel the body connected to the arm pull him closer to itself. Zane held his breath as he felt warm air heat up his neck. "It's me", the voice of Josh whispered. Zane would have scolded Josh for scaring him, but Josh's voice had been so quiet and serious it made him rethink speaking at all.

   Zane felt Josh tug on his right arm twice, then let go. Zane interpreted this as, We're going this way. So he went in that direction.

   Though he could barely see Josh, Zane could hear Josh's light footsteps as they walked down the hall. It wasn't until they tiptoed down the large staircase that Zane was able to see Josh's tall silhouette. He was even able to make out a beanie on Josh's head. He came prepared, Zane joked to himself. All I've got is a black shirt and dark jeans.

   Finally, they made it to the hallway with the painting. Zane could see Josh's face and even some of his hair sticking out of the beanie. Is that paint on his face? Did he actually put black streaks on his face? Well, that's Josh for you.

   Josh tapped Zane's shoulder, pulling Zane out of his thoughts. Josh pointed to Zane, then to the right side of the painting, then to himself, then at the left side of the painting. He then made a lifting motion. He wants me to take one side of the painting while he takes the other. "What if we drop it?", Zane mouthed, but Josh was already on one side of the painting, slipping his fingers through the sides. How did I get pulled into this?, Zane asked himself as he went one his side and got ready.

   For Erin, his conscience reminded him as the boys carefully lifted the painting off the wall and gently up against the wall across from them.

   Zane heard Josh sigh as he gave Zane a thumbs up. Zane rolled his eyes and turned to look at the now empty wall in front of them.

   His throat almost formed a lump out of fear and excitement.

   The crack that he had seen was now much bigger, creating a complete rectangle.

   A door.

   From the corner of his eye, Zane could see Josh doing a little happy dance. Zane himself could only stare forward, his mouth open in shock. There really was a door. A secret door. Erin has to be in there.

   And if she isn't... then we're screwed.

   Josh was already walking towards the door, his outstretched hand pushing it open. Zane had to shake himself out of his stupor before quickly following Josh through the door. He made sure to leave it cracked, just in case it would automatically lock if they shut it. Can't be too careful. Not anymore.

   It was dark, but there was a bright light below them in the distance. Without discussion, the boys walked down what they found to be steps towards the light, keeping a hand on the invisible wall for support. The air smelled odd. Zane didn't recognize it, but there was something about it that was unsettling. Just don't let your guard down, Zane reminded himself. We have more of a chance if we're aware of everything.

   When they got to the light, they found a large room all lit up with florescent lights. The walls were white, the floor was white, even the pillars holding up the ceiling were pure white. "This is the room they found a while back", Josh whispered in awe. "The secret room in the White House."