Keith Gets Appendicitis

Enjoy!

Words: 3,771

Keith had been feeling crummy all day since he woke up. He felt like he was coming down with the flu. Fighting with Lance at the training deck had wiped him out almost completely. He found it hard to hang onto his weapon and his movements were slow.

Lance looked at him, his eyes narrowed. "What's going on, Keith? I'm whipping your tail, and this isn't even my strong suit."

Keith dropped his weapon that seemed to weigh 500 pounds and wiped the sweat from his brow, and there seemed to be a lot of it, much more than normal. His stomach churned, a growing ache settling in his middle. He couldn't seem to shake it all day. "I don't know. I'm not at my best today."

He turned to walk away, and Lance grabbed his arm. "Ke—" he started to say, but then he felt Keith's clammy skin. "Woah, hey, if I didn't know better, I'd say you're kind of warm."

Keith pulled out of his grasp with an angry jerk. "I'm fine. I'm going to shower and get changed."

Lance watched him walk away, his expression worried as he saw him stagger off, almost tripping over his own feet. He wanted to go to him and make sure he was really alright, but he knew Keith would only get mad at him, and he knew Keith liked his privacy.

Keith went to the showers and peeled off his clothes. His skin was covered in goosebumps and he shivered. He felt a twinge of nausea and he leaned forward with his head down and leaned his hands against his knees, willing it to pass. After he recovered, he turned on the faucet and let the steaming hot water cascade down his body, enveloping him in warmth.

Now that he was nice and clean, he put on new clothes. Showering made him really tired, and now his body felt sluggish and heavy, as if gravity was working extra duty on him. Out of nowhere, a stab of pain hit his stomach and he leaned forward. He rubbed the area with his fingers as he winced. Maybe he had the stomach flu, he guessed. After all, he wasn't very hungry, and that was usually a sign of the flu.

As if on cue, Hunk entered the showers to find him. "Hey, Keith. Dinner's ready. I heard they made your favorite!"

"Thanks, Hunk. Be there in a minute." Keith put on his shoes and socks, cringing at the pain this caused his stomach. He decided he'd better show up for dinner anyway so he wouldn't worry anyone. He dried off his hair and made his way slowly to the dining hall, careful not to jar his torso.

Everyone was already seated when he got there and the food was already in front of them. He sat down, noticing Lance's concerned glances out of the corner of his eye. What Keith hadn't prepared for was the strong scent of the food wafting in the room and from his plate before him. He felt like he was going to be sick.

Keith picked at his food with his fork but never took a bite. He sipped the water from his glass and that's all he was able to choke down before he had had it. He needed to get out of here before he lost all dignity.

He excused himself and left abruptly. Once he was out of sight, he ran down the hall and into a bathroom, vomiting into the nearest toilet. The ache in his stomach was getting stronger. He just needed to rest. That was all.

He went back to his bedroom and lay down in bed. A moment later, there was a knock at the door. "Keith? You okay?"

It was Lance. Keith groaned. He didn't want anyone seeing him like this, especially Lance. "Come in," he croaked.