drei

"Oh, uh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were sleeping. I didn't mean to open the door like that and-"

"How do you know who I am?" Dean interrupted firmly and Cas winced at the harshness in his tone.

"Dean, I-you don't remember me?" Cas asked, eyes so full of sorrow that Dean faltered for a moment.

"R-remember you from where?" He stuttered, not entirely sure what the actual fuck was going on.

"I-it doesn't matter. I'm sorry if I disturbed you. My name is Castiel. I am Gabriel's younger brother, and he asked me to inform you that your help is needed," Cas rushed out. He was surprised he didn't just run out the moment he saw those green eyes and those pink lips...

"Wait, you're Castiel Novak? The-the billionaire Castiel Novak?" Dean asked, disgust apparent in his face. Cas felt like he had been shot through the heart.

"Yes, I-I am he," Cas said, averting his gaze from Dean's now angry glare.

"So, what, you run smaller companies into the ground and because you've got a shit load of money you can just ruin people? And what the hell, man? Why'd you burst in here like the room was on fire?" Dean asked with fire behind his eyes. Cas tilted his head in confusion.

"Dean, I do not understand what you mean. I do not run other companies into the ground as long as they don't deserve it. And I-I'm sorry about the... unexpected entrance. I was knocking on the door when my brother thought it would be funny if he shoved me into the door and it was unlocked so I stumbled in and the door slammed against the wall. I'm sorry, Dean. I-"

Dean held up his hands and raised his eyebrows. "Listen, I don't really care what excuses you have, okay? Just... let me know what I have to do and I'll get it done."

Cas felt like he couldn't breathe, but he said anyway, "Um, Gabe just wanted you to, uh, help him pick out a color for something, I'm not really sure. You'll find him in the main hall. Again, I am truly sorry if I offended you, Dean. I-I will leave now."

"Good idea, Castiel," Dean snarled.

Cas fled from the room before he could make the situation any worse. He could feel a prickling sensation behind his eyes that meant that he would need to make a run for it to his room before anyone could find him and ask why his eyes are watering and why his bottom lip is wobbling.

Before he can get to his room, however, Gabriel spots him and though Cas tries to ignore him, Gabe catches up to him.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, where are you going, little bro?" He asks, spinning Cas around so that he faced him. Cas doesn't look him in the eye, afraid that if he does, his brother will see the hurt and the pain.

"Cassie, what's wrong?" He asks, soft and gentle, as if he were tending to a wounded animal. He has known his brother long enough that he knows to let Cas tell him what's wrong in his own time, but that sometimes he needs a little prompting.

Cas sighed. "Nothing's wrong, Gabe." He's not lying - Dean has perfectly good reasons to hate him, so therefore nothing is wrong about what he said.

"You're about to cry, Cassie. Please just tell me what's the matter," Gabe pleads but Cas won't give in.

"I'm just exhausted, okay? I'm tired and I just want a little time to recover by myself. I am perfectly fine. I'm simply overwhelmed. That's all."

Cas isn't sure why he's protecting Dean. His brother would easily beat the shit out of him if he chose to, though Cas is sure that his brother would make a scene as well, and Cas would rather not be the center of drama at the moment.

Gabe still looks skeptical but concedes, letting his brother run off to his room. Gabe knows it has something to do with Dean, but he's not really sure what exactly.

Cas shuts the door to his room behind him and leans against it, holding back a sob.

Dean hates him. Dean hates him.

And Cas is still hopelessly in love with him.

~~~

"Ah, yes, Dean, there you are," Gabe says as he spots Dean walking over to him. "Which color for the ribbons on the chairs - navy or white?"

"Hm, I think white," Dean replies with a smile.

"You know, I thought so too, but this wedding planner has got me all discombobulated," Gabe said, already thinking of his next task. "Thank you for your help. You can probably go get some food from the kitchen and eat something before you call it a night."

Dean nodded but still wanted to ask Gabriel something.

"Is Castiel Novak seriously your brother?"

Gabriel grinned. "Yeah, that dorky dude is my brother."

"Like, he's the billionaire Castiel Novak?"

"Well, yes. Sorry if ramming him into your door and causing him to fall in created any sexual tension or anything."

"Wait, what?"

"Actually, if it did, I'm not sorry."

Dean looked alarmed. "No, no, no sexual tension in the room. Thanks for apologizing... or not."

"Yeah, well, whether you have the hots for my brother or not, be nice to him. Most people judge him based on his money but you have to realize he's not really a bad guy."

Dean snorted. "Whatever you say."

Gabe turned to him and said, "Listen, Dean, I like you. I really do. And I'm trying to tell you that Cassie is just a bit awkward." Gabe then winked at Dean. "And plus, when you get to know him, you know, he can do a lot with that money."

Dean rolled his eyes. "Look, I don't care about his money, other than that it's the reason he feels entitled to everything. I just wish I didn't have to see him at all."

Gabriel pursed his lips and sighed. "Just... don't break my brother's heart, alright?"

With those words, Gabriel was gone.