Intruders

"Daniel," a condescending voice states. Nat's mother moves further into the room. "What are you doing here?" She steps closer to Nat in protective mode.

"Savannah told him about the wedding," Natalie answers.

"Never did like that girl. Sorry, Nat." Her mother glances at Nat for a moment before deciding taking her eyes off of me would be a bad decision. "I think it's time for you to leave, Daniel."

"I think Nat is old enough to make that decision for herself, don't you," I challenge. I lean back further into the cushions.

"Daniel," Nat says, an edge to her voice.

"She doesn't need any more stress." Nat's mother speaks before Nat can answer for herself.

"Okay." I stand up and walk past the intruder to Natalie. Slipping an arm around her waist, I bend my head down to kiss her cheek. "Remember me," I whisper. I close my eyes to remember her scent, the feel of her hand on my arm, and her whisper goodbye.

I take one glance behind me before closing the door. Natalie moves over to the windows to open the curtains since there is no risk of a secret being discovered. As her hands move a curtain aside, however, I see her body start to crumple to the ground, wrinkling her dress. Her mother rushes to her side. I close the door.

The bridesmaids, now returned with no threat of a spider, stare and whisper as I walk through the room to outside. I see Savannah curling her blonde hair and shake my head. She shrugs in response. Standing outside the shed, I take a deep breath and feel tears begin to fall down my face. If possible, my heart cracks along the old fissure Nat left before.

I wipe off my face and follow the path back to the white barn. Most of the guests have arrived and are filing into it. Wanting to avoid the fanfare, I step around to the side of the barn and lean against the wall. Soon I am on the ground, crying. The fissure opens up wider than before.

Memories flood into my mind. The months of flirting in our morning biology lab class at university. Her laugh turning from fake to genuine in a matter of minutes. Saving her from the jerks at fraternity parties by acting like her boyfriend. Actually becoming her boyfriend. Late night trips to get frozen yogurt at a place an hour away. Jam sessions on those late night rides. Learning the curves of her body. Figuring out we fit perfectly together. All those memories are pointless.

Voices float around the side of the barn. I stand up, sliding my back against the wall to support me. Brushing away the past, I turn the corner and look down the line of bridesmaids and groomsmen until I see Nat, standing by herself. No one to walk her down the aisle, stubborn as always in her independent woman ways. I lean against the edge of the barn, keeping my eyes on her and trying to exude confidence.

When her eyes meet mine, nearly all the bridesmaids have filed inside the barn already. "Natalie," I say, just loud enough for her to hear. The final bridesmaid and groomsmen have gone inside the barn. Someone slides the doors closed before the groom can see Natalie in her dress. "Please," I whisper, taking tentative steps toward her.

"You have no idea how much I want to," she starts.

"So what's holding you back," I ask.

"I love him, Daniel. Just as I loved you." She reaches out a hand toward me, but I take a step back at the past tense usage.

"I present tense love you, Natalie. No question about it."

"I can't say the same, Daniel. I don't know who you are anymore. I've changed in the past few years, so I know you must have, too. We're different people."

"Sounds like something your mother would say," I mumble.

"My parents like Robert. They do."

"So you're marrying someone simply because it's easy?" I stare a final time into her green eyes. "That's not love. Love is not easy. We both know it because what we have... is real love."

"I know." The barn doors start to slide back open, and she straightens her back. I see her answer and walk away before the doors fully open. I don't want to see who she chose over me, and I don't want to see her walk away from me down the aisle.

Striding across the red gravel road, I take my motorcycle keys out of my jacket pocket and fumble until I find the right key. I swing my leg over the bike and settle into the seat. The engine roars to life as I take one final glance behind me. Natalie is out of sight. I back the bike out of its parking spot and onto the road.

"Wait!" I tell myself it's my imagination, but my heart tells me otherwise. "Daniel!" Turning around, I see a flurry of white running towards me. "Wait!" Before my brain registers what is occurring, a bundle of a wedding dress settles onto the bike behind me. I take off my helmet and place it on my new passenger's head. "Love isn't easy," she says.

"But we're endgame," I reply. A smile covers both our faces as I speed the motorcycle down the gravel road, spewing dust behind us.