Direct and Indirect Objects

Direct and indirect objects are nouns, which are affected by the subject and verb.

"What's it talking about, precious? Stupid Elfses is loosing its head!"

No, I am sane, despite your repeated attempts to make sure I am otherwise. If you would (for once) let me finish a thought, I would be able to explain  what I am--

"Cruel selfish elf! It doesn't let poor Smeagol speak! It hogses the book all to itself, precious, and poor Smeagol never gets to talk! He never gets to write! AAAAHHHHHHGGGGgggg cruel elf!"

I rest my case. Anyway, let me elaborate a little bit on what direct and indirect objects are.

"AAAHHHHGGGG!!!! GIVE THE PEN TO US!!! WE WANTS IT AND IT IS OURSssss!!!!"

Good morning to you, too, Gollum. Hey! Bring that back here!

"We has the pen! We has the pen! PRECIOUS! Gollum! Gollum!"

"No! Let Smeagol have the pen! He will writes nice things about grammarses!"

Hm. Good thing I've got this pencil. Anyway, while they are arguing, maybe we can make some headway. 

In a sentence, a direct object is something that the subject interacts with directly.

For instance: 

Smeagol stole the ring of power. (Yeah. I know he has it. He doesn't keep a secret too well.)

The subject is 'Smeagol,' the verb is 'stole.' What did Smeagol steal? The Ring of Power, which is the direct object. It is what the subject interacts with directly.

However, were I to expand that sentence just a little bit, it could say this:

Smeagol stole the ring of power from Deagol.

Smeagol and Deagol interact in this sentence, but since Smeagol did not steal Deagol, but stole from Deagol, Deagol is not a direct object, but an indirect object. The verb does not directly interact with Deagol. 

"AHHHGGGG!!! Selfish elf is writing again! Get the pen, precious!"

Alright, that is it. I am leaving.

"Noooooooo! Don't leave poor Smeagol! We doesn't want it do go! We needses it! We wantses it to stay!"

Fine! Just quit grabbing my legs and hands. You're really getting on my nerves.

"We wasn't on its nerveses, precious! We just wantses it to stay with us!"

Alright! Until I find a way out, anyway......