Chapter Thirty

It was either fear or adrenaline that kept me going

It was either fear or adrenaline that kept me going. I was sure it had to be both.

I didn't glance back to make sure Evander or Lily were following, but I did it more to give them privacy. I already felt awkward for hearing their early conversation, I didn't want to intrude on anything else.

Up and up we went, the cool stone wall to my right and a black expanse of nothing to my left. The steps were steep and narrow, one wrong foot and you would be lost forever in the bowels of the dungeon. I tried not to think about it as I hurried up, my footsteps echoing too loudly off the stones. The lantern in my hand swung gently, but not enough for the precious light to go out inside.

The stairs began to curve to the right, then I saw light other than my lantern, gradually growing bigger. Relief washed over me like a tidal wave.

We were almost out of this place. I knew Caspar was waiting for us up there, ready to open the gate. I picked up my pace, almost until I was running, and skidded to a stop at the top platform. A moment later, Evander and Lily were there with me.

The gate creaked open, revealing Caspar's tall frame. He wasted no time in pulling me through, tucking all three of us into an alcove.

"The guards are sleeping." He said urgently, "but they'll wake soon. Yuna waits for us in a meadow near the village, but we have to get to her on our own."

I nodded, "We'll have to take the servants stairwells and passageways, it's the only way to get out safely."

"If we can make it to Lilac's room, Alexia will take us through." Lily offered, "And I can't wear this dress, it's too recognizable."

I pulled off the dark cloak I wore and gave it to her, "This will have to do for now, there's no time to change. How can we trust this Alexia?"

Lily's eyes were bright, almost feverish, "I'd trust her with my life. She knew that I wasn't Lilac and kept the secret for so long. She'll help us."

Caspar nodded, glanced out the alcove, "It's time to go, then."

His fingers sought mine, startling me only a little, and held tight.

We left the alcove, treading lightly as we snuck down hallways, heading towards the main stairwell so we could make it to Lilac's chambers. Even though it was dark, there were still guards everywhere.

As we turned the corner on the second floor, Caspar hissed and pushed all of us back against the wall.

"Six guards." He whispered, "stationed at Lilac's chambers."

I clamped down on my lip to stop from screaming in frustration.

Caspar turned his eyes to Evander, "Your Highness."

A understanding passed between them, and Evander nodded, slinking forward and glancing around the corner. I felt Lily's hand creep into mine, squeezing a little, and I squeezed back.