chapter||.3

Riya's P

Riya's P.O.V

He looks pitiful. I hate pity. I eye the way his rough hands meet in contact with his tired face. The tips of his fingers messaging every point of his face that they past. His shoulders are stiff and his eyes lay low like there hiding in a stake out.

He's trying to drink his life away...he's stressed.

"You're not even a drinker." I watch as his weary green-blue eyes meet mine. He's lost, his mind isn't there. "Go home. You don't belong here."

Drinking will only you cause you more pain.

"Oh, and you do?" The vibrations of his soft rough voice came in contact with my ears. A smirk rested on my lips as I reached over the bar counter and grabbed a damp rag.

"I do actually." The smack of the warm rag hitting the bar counter delighted me and so did his confusion. "Guess, you missed the nail by a few inches." I watch as he shakes his head a small smile  of disbelief sporting his lips. "My friend owns the bar," I say, while wiping down the counters. "I just stop by and help from time to time." I look back down at him, his eyes watching my every move. The green shines bright in them dimming out the blue, turning it into a bland hue like the night sky. Dropping the rag back onto the other side of the counter I grab his half full mug of beer and walk to the other side of the counter, dumping it down the drain.

"How did you know I don't drink." I turn around to glance at his questioning eyes.

"You stick out like a sore thumb from the regulars that usually come here. You probably drink but, only for special occasions. And you're more of a top self kind of guy..a shot of whiskey would do you good on New Year's and that's it." I move my attention back to the glass mug dropping it in the soapy sink before drying of my hands.

"So, you drink?" I shake my head at his question. Turning to the bar to rest my elbows, my chin coming to rest on my hands. Leaning forward he does the same.

"No." His eyebrows raise as his eyes widen a fraction.

"But, you work in a bar." A small chuckle leaves my lips as I straighten myself.

"I don't work in a bar. I work in a office." A sharp laugh leaves his lips.

"Says the one grabbing a broom." A goofy smile plays on his lips as he watches me detach the dust pan from the broom stick.

Touché.

"Well, if you must know," My hand reaches my hip as I lean my weight on the broom stick.

"I must." I tilt my head, my eyes dancing in amusement.

Okay, puzzle piece..I'll entertain you.

"I'm the designated driver. If people are too drunk and they're sailing on liquor I make sure they have a safe way home. I'm usually the one to tell a person when they have reached their limit and the one who places a pillow under their head when they crash." The straw against the wood brings a sense of nostalgia to my mind..putting my mind to rest.

"Why doesn't your friend do that? He does own the place." Sweeping the little trails of dust and dirt into the dust pan, I let a snort escape my lips.

"She's too busy keeping it running. It's a little hard for her to keep tabs on everyone that walks into this place." Picking the dust pan, I empty the trash into the bin before placing the broom and dust pan back into their respectful places. I turn back around walking to the bar stools and take a seat. He moves his body to face me. His knees bent awkwardly as it isn't the way a person is suppose to sit. I look at the wrinkled dark grey button down that can't decided if it wants to stay tucked or not and the black tie that dangles off of him loosely. "You don't stick out too much. If I didn't know better I would think that you weren't new to this scene." He looks down at his tie. His fingers playing with the fabric as another smile comes to his lips. But, it's filled with pain. "Long day in the office?"

His shoulders rise as a huff leaves his mouth. "Yeah." His eyes avert back to mine as his hand flattens his tie against his chest.

"Go home." I feel my eyebrows knit together as my shoulder slump.

"What if I don't want to?" He asks, a playful smirk playing on his lips but, his eyes reek in somber. I move my eyes to the clock behind him, before averting them back to his murky ones.

"You'll have to try another bar, this one is closed." A chuckle leaves his mouth and I find my lips twitching at the sound.

"Okay, forest fire. I guess I'll call it a night." I watch as he sluggishly gets up from the bar stool. Stretching out his shoulder muscles and cracking his neck. His tired eyes stare at me for a few seconds to long. I can see the question and the hesitation swimming in them.

"I'm just a good observer..the signs were all there." His eyes widen a bit. If I wasn't paying attention I would've never caught it. "What about you? How did you know so much about me?" His eyes still stare into mine. His emotions mixing.

"I use to play UNO with my brother all the time when I was younger. I was always the one to have a great deal of wild cards. Maybe it was luck. Or maybe it was just because I was always the dealer." A genuine chuckle comes from my lips leaving a smile as its remains. "You have a really beautiful smile." My eyes move away from his emotion filled eyes and to my fiddling thumbs. "Is there any chance I'll get to see you again, Forest Fire?" With the smile still tracing my lips, I look into his murky eyes.

"Just follow the trail of ashes, I'm pretty sure you'll find me."
——

"——