Bruised

Marie's POV;

William stared past Justin's broad shoulders to my wide eyes, sending me a pointed glare as his nostrils flared in a animistic expression and his hands shook at his sides. "My wife is none of your concern" he spat out, teeth clenched, acting as barricades to his harsh words. I squeezed Justin's hand in my own as my heart stopped in place, watching as William's brick fist came into sudden contact with Justin's jaw.

I was pulled to the side as Justin slowly recovered from the blow, his once smooth skin now broken and bloodied. My stomach churned as I felt the need to comfort him as he loosened his jaw, testing its movement and clicking it back into place. I began to reach a shaking hand to his wounded face but my efforts were short-lived and William took a vice-like hold on my shoulder, pulling me backwards and pressing me to his chest. His biceps felt like constricting bars over my shoulders, my lungs began to falter as I struggled for air as William continued to press me to his chest. My heart pounded against my rib-cage and the sickly sound of my blood circling was heard in my ears and my eyes were wide as my lungs began to collapse and the ground beneath me began to feel further and further away.

I heard Justin rush forwards as my vision began to fizz, and as he could not get a clear blow to William's jaw he opted for prying Williams arms from around me, aware of my weakening state. Williams hold on my shoulders loosened as he had to choose between holding me securely or battling Justin off of him. Justin's muscular arms wrapped around my waist, quickly pulling me backwards with him and turning me away from William so he could look into my fearful eyes. "Are you okay?" he worriedly rasped, his bloodied knuckles coming up to smooth over my red cheeks as I fought to retrieve oxygen to my lungs. He was given no reply as I could not register anything but Williams fist gaining speed as he found his chance.

"Justin!" I screamed, helpless as I watched him turn only to be thrown backwards by Williams immense force. His head hit the floor at my feet, blood scattering the smooth surface only to be smudged as I knelt down to pull his head to my lap, shakily managing to brush back his soft hair to get a better look at the cracked skin of his jaw and the purpling bruise that thobbed around his eye and cheekbone. His eyes were open but his pain was evident as he groaned, lifting his head from my lap and rising to his feet unsteadily, pulling my up with him as he took a firm hold on my hand before letting go. I sought comfort behind Justin's broad shoulders, knowing that despite only having met Justin a couple hours ago, he held more care and concern for me than William ever could.

Justin's bloodshot eyes steadied on William, his slow turn radiating power and self-will and I found a overbearing sense of proudness for his determination. He spat out the blood from his mouth, the crimson beads glistening on his lips before he wiped them away with the back of his hand. "Justin" I whispered from behind him, knowing that my worry for his state was evident as I grew more restless and more aware of his slowly deteriorating strength. His gunshot wound was long forgotten as he had new matters at hand, the pain in his jaw numbing the pain at his side.

"William stop this. Justin is not a threat, he was wounded at our doorstep and of course I had to help him". My words were near silent as I spoke calmly to William, his eyes fleeting between Justin's and mine.

"You should have left his bloodied body to rot! This soldier needs to learn his place." William spat, his degrading gaze heavy on Justin's soldiers. A gasp escaped my cracked lips at his disgusting suggestion, and I quickly - without even a seconds thought - charged forward from underneath Justin's arm to make harsh contact with William's cheek.

My heart stilled.

"I will never be your god-dammned wife!"

My heart stilled in my chest and tears began to pool in my eyes as I continued, back into the comfort of Justin's chest, "You disgust me."