Chapter Fifteen: Tours

She'd planned everything accordingly, ensuring she'd arrive to the NEMS record store, not a second late.

Evelyn wore a  grey, tweed sweater and a knee length, plaid skirt, with sheer stockings and heels. She had pulled her hair back with a black band, and put on her best earrings—pearl ones—with a nice light lipstick to give off her brand of professionalism. She wanted Brian to know she wanted this as much as anyone would, and knew that he himself liked the upper class style she was born into. Years at London academies and her parent's clothing store had prepared her for the class importance Britain upheld. She was posh looking, perfect for the meeting.

Evelyn arrived at the city centre at 10:15am, and walked to NEMS quick. Her interview was at 10:30am, but she knew that people like Brian enjoyed punctuality. He must've, the way he ran his business and dressed, and goodness, the way he spoke. One would figure he and Evelyn had come from switched worlds, her from upper-class Liverpool and him from the posh side of London.

When Evelyn walked through the door, she spotted Brian immediately. He was flipping through the records as an assistant—or perhaps an just employee—stood beside him, jotting down notes as he spoke. The young women was dressed similarly to her.

"Hello, ma'am," she was greeted. Evelyn smiled, "Hello," she told the employee behind the counter. Brian looked over at her and grinned too, happy to see her.

"We'll finish this later," he told the girl quietly. She nodded her head, "Yes Mr. Brian."

"You're rather early," he noted, leading her towards the staircase the Beatles had sat on the last time she'd been in this record store. That felt like ages ago. It hadn't changed terribly since then, no. The walls were still adorned with posters and it looked simple, but modern; well off enough to attract to the younger people who flocked the store.

"Yes," she nodded, "I didn't want to be tardy. It's unprofessional."

Brian opened his office door, letting her enter first. "Take a seat," he pulled out a chair, "I do agree with you on that. Tardiness is of much annoyance to me."

Brian sat behind his desk, and Evelyn looked around. His desk was immaculate, with all his papers sorted into two baskets on the left side of the wooden desk, and pens on the right. A calendar sat in the middle, marked and checked up, full and ensuring he was a busy man.

Brian reminded her an awful lot of her mother. Even the pinstripe suit and white shirt reminded him of the brown haired woman who'd reared her; her mother had always favored the pattern on suits. In fact, his looked like something straight from her parents shop window.

"I'm elated you've decided to join me here today to discuss the matters of the Beatles tour with me," Brian began, taking the papers out of the basket further towards her. He laid down the paper in front of her, facing the type towards her. He pointed a finger to the first date and she noticed his pedicured hands. Nothing on him was short of perfection, was it? "This is the first date the tour begins. With the Beatles, as you might understand, the riding accommodations are not always ideal. If you'd like, I could separate you from the group, but you must know that the likeliness of you seeing the boys after the concerts is slim.

"However, if you would like to travel elsewhere, I'll make sure you get your wishes. You must know," Brian looked her in the eyes, smiling, giving his best hand, "Your press coverage is very important to the boys and I. While you may only publicize in Liverpool, there's a rather large audience here, and many girls to please. I'm sure you know this. It would be a great pleasure to have you along with them, to interview and watch them, and report back to the fans."

He leaned back in his chair, observing Evelyn. "Mr. Harry and I both agreed that the positives of this would certainly outweigh the negatives. I just have to know that you're fully prepared to do this."

She shook her head, smiling, "Oh absolutely, Brian. I'd like nothing more than to do this." She looked at the calendar, at all the dates. He had enough on his plate, he didn't need her flocking him with arrangements for someone he didn't manage. "Riding with the boys will be fine. It'd be a nice insight to the relationship they share before and after the shows."

Evelyn grabbed hold of the paper in front of her, running her eyes over the dates. March 9th would see them in East Ham, the first date, and they wouldn't return home until the 24th. The tour itself was a little under a month, but it never seemed to break. It was gig from gig, non stop. She'd never traveled like that before.

"I'll assure that Neil will take good care of you," Brian spoke. He grabbed a pen and jotted another note on his massive calendar, "The boys will have to travel separately from you on the first day of the tour but I'll make arrangements for Neil to meet you at the station before the show and pick you up. From there it shall be perfectly mapped up, your schedule linear to theirs.

"I must warn you though, you're to be rooming with Neil. If I had it any other way I would arrange more suitable and comfortable arrangements but on short notice it is a bit hard to adjust to these kinks."

He offered her an apologetic grin and Evelyn nodded her head, alright with it. What did it matter anyways? She doubted there would be a whole lot of sleeping, anyhow.

"It's perfectly alright, Mr. Epstein. I'm just pleased to be allowed the opportunity."

"You do understand there's topics you mustn't write about, yes?"

Evelyn nodded her head. "No relationships and nothing that could be considered controversial," she spoke softly. It was a motto, practically, understood clearly in the Mersey Beat office. There was hardly anything racy to report about with the clean-cut men, anyhow, so there wasn't much to worry about.

"Yes." Brian pressed a wide grin on his pale features. "Very well, Ms. Sinclaire." He rose from his chair and she did the same. Evelyn began walking to the door and Brian zoomed in front of her, opening the door. "I'll have a telegram sent to the office for sleeping arrangements."

Evelyn nodded her head. "Thank you, Mr. Epstein."

He nodded his head, sticking out his hand for her to shake. The gesture was a grand one, and it took to her back as she was a woman, and he was a businessman. It seemed unfathomable to her that a man like himself could do that. Her mother had spent years behind her father's figure, watching on as he received handshakes and honorary letters of appraisal in which her name was left out of.

Evelyn noticed something about his suit, too. It had three cuff links and her parent's shop marking in the inside of the cuff. She placed her hand in his, feeling proud.

Life had begun to become full circle, and she could not wait to race home to ring Elio and tell him all about it.

——-

Last week I failed and didn't update, and I suppose I did a bit this week too, as it's a little past Friday here. But I've mustered up something for this week's Friday's update (despite that it's actually Saturday).