Chapter4.2: The Person Before Me Is The One I Love

For a long period of time, even I was unable to understand why he would ever like someone like me.

We simply remained at status quo and refused to contact one another. Subsequently, after graduating from my university, I started working in Changsha. During the 60th anniversary of my alma mater, I returned to my hometown to attend a gathering organized by my high school schoolmates. It was then that I knew Mr. F had returned.

The class representative gave him a call, saying "We're currently at XX KTV, are you coming?" I had a gut feeling that he would come - and, as predicted, the class representative really went to pick Mr. F up shortly after.

I was terribly nervous, and couldn't sit still. In the end, I cowardly ran to the toilet to hide.

I dawdled in the toilet for over ten minutes, trying to prepare and comfort myself mentally. Afterwards, I preened myself, arranged my hair properly, took a deep breath, and stepped out.

In the crowd, my eyes found him instantly.

It was rather strange. I haven't seen him for four years, the lighting in the KTV room was so dim, there were so many people, and he wasn't even sitting in the center - but despite all these, the moment I entered the room, my eyes singled him out immediately.

He cut his hair short, and wore a black sweater which I had never seen before. He was much skinnier, and much more mature.

He raised his head, our eyes meeting for a few seconds before he shifted his gaze away. Clearly, he had absolutely no intention of acknowledging me.

Because there were no empty seats, I was forced to sit next to the song selection machine. As such, I lowered my head and pretended that I was extremely busy selecting songs. Mr. F was seated two persons away from me.

Ever since he appeared, I had no idea where to put my hands or my legs, my heart was extremely confused and I was at a loss as to what to do. I wanted to find something for myself to do, to act as though I wasn't particularly concerned about his existence. Just then, I spotted a can of cola on the table, and grabbed it as though it was my saviour. I tried to open it twice, but I wasn't able to. As a result, I returned the cola to the table out of embarrassment.

Who would have known that the moment I placed the cola can down, that can of cola would be picked up and easily opened by another person?

It was Mr. F.

Whilst he was opening the can of cola with a completely natural expression and placing it in front of me, he was simultaneously conversing with the people next to him - he didn't even look at me once during the entire process.

All of a sudden, I felt like crying.

Come to think of it, when I decided to break off our friendship I didn't quarrel with him, and when we amended our relationship I didn't cry. When we decided to be together he didn't confess too me, and when we decided to marry he didn't officially propose to me- everything just happened naturally on its own accord... It was as though both of us knew that these events would happen, and that both of us were simply waiting for the right time to arrive.

Our relationship became slightly warmer after that, and there were signs that our relationship was returning back to normal. He went to Beijing to work, whilst I stayed in Changsha. Once, when he was in Changsha for business, I invited him out for a meal.