Chapter Two

*Castiel's POV*

Cas still had a good ten minutes before his first class, and had chosen to spend the time decorating his new locker.

He had already organised his books into folders and stacked them neatly on the top shelf, and was busy sticking pictures of his friends, family, and a few adorable kittens onto the walls and door.

He was distracted by a loud commotion only about 10 meters away. He glanced up and examined the 3 boys, immediately recognising them as fellow seniors.

Balthazar, just as tall and lanky as the last time Cas had seen him, was smirking lightly at whatever the other two where laughing at. Cas assumed he had done or said anything funny.

He kind of liked Balthazar. He drank, smoked and partied way too much, but Cas enjoyed his dry sense of humour, and liked how he didn't put up with anyone's bullshit.

Uriel was next, and unlike Balthazar, Cas didn't like him at all. He was the sort of person that thought he was superior to everyone else, and he'd always looked down at Cas.

Cas' gaze switched from thoughtful to wistful as his eyes landed on the final member of the group.

His short brown hair was sticking up a bit, and even from a distance Cas could see the amused sparkle in his emerald eyes. He was too far away to see his freckles, but Cas knew they were there, a light sprinkle dusting his tanned face that only added to his good looks. He was in his typical outfit, worn jeans and a plaid shirt over a darker T-shirt, and boy did it suit him.

Dean Winchester.

Cas had had a thing for Dean for quite a while now, however it was purely a physical attraction.

Dean was gorgeous, no one would deny it. That was it. Cas had nothing in common with Dean and had never spoken to him. He was loud, annoying, and didn't give a damn about anything. Plus as far as he knew Dean didn't even know he existed.

Even so, when Dean turned and their eyes locked Cas felt his face heating up and hurriedly turned away, hoping Dean wouldn't think he was begin a creep.

Cas distracted himself by taping his timetable to his locker door. Once that was done he pulled out the books he needed for his first lesson, Biology, and carefully shut his locker.

The halls had quickly filled with students as everyone's first lesson approached, and Cas pushed his way through the crowd to get to class.

Apprehension gnawed at Cas' insides as he opened the door and looked around at the people in his class. He didn't talk to many people in his year, but there were rarely enough empty seats for him to sit alone. Sitting alone would be preferable to sitting with a stranger.

"Cas!"

His fear evaporated and he smiled thankfully at his redheaded friend.

"Charlie," he greeted her as he dumped his stuff on the table and sat down.

"Timetable," Charlie demanded, snatching the offered piece of paper and scanning it eagerly.

"We have Chem together too," she sighed happily. "Good, you can help me pass."

Cas rolled his eyes and leaned back in his chair, watching the rest of the class enter. He didn't mind who was in his class now that he knew Charlie was here for him to sit with.

"Why did you pick Chem? I thought you hated it?"

"I do," Charlie sighed. "But it's a smart subject, and it will look good for college."

Cas hummed in agreement, then the teacher walked in and the class fell silent as he gave the usual start of year speech.

~~~~~

*Dean's POV*

Dean had barely walked in the gates when Uriel spotted him.

He smiled and greeted Uriel back cheerfully, but inside he winced. Uriel was not his favourite person, but they were usually on good terms and had too many mutual friends for Dean to get away with not talking to him.

They were almost at the door to the building when Balthazar approached. Dean grinned as the tall boy ruffled his hair, Balthazar was one of his best friends, but he hadn't had much time to see him over the break.

"Well looks like you haven't changed a bit," Dean chucked, noting that Balthazar was wearing the exact same outfit as he was the last time Dean had seen him.

"You have though," Balthazar drawled, examining Dean with a twinkle in his eye as they entered the main building and began walking down the hall. "I do believe you've gotten shorter."

Uriel laughed loudly and Balthazar reached out to ruffle his hair again, smirking slightly as Dean batted his hand away.

Dean laughed good naturedly and turned to watch where he was going, his eyes immediately locking with a pair of ocean blue ones.

The other boy looked away hurriedly but Dean let his eyes linger on the messy, raven black hair and slim figure.

He would have preferred to admire his lovely eyes for longer, but those blue eyes never looked in his direction for long, even if Dean hadn't caught him staring.

They had gone to school together for years, but they'd never shared a class, or a conversation. Not even a simple hello.

Hell, Dean didn't even know the kids name.

He almost asked other students on multiple occasions, but didn't want anyone to suss out his interest.

Maybe he was being paranoid, but he felt if he even asked a guys name, people would get suspicious.

As far as everyone was concerned, Dean Winchester was as straight as a ruler. He was in fact pansexual, but there was no way he'd let anyone else know that.

So, until anyone told him otherwise, the pretty blue-eyed boy was dubbed 'Steve'.

"Earth to Dean?"

Deans head snapped back to Balthazar, who was grinning lazily. "Something on your mind?"

"Ah, no," Dean laughed it off. "Apart from my extreme lack of sleep of course."

Balthazar rolled his eyes and Uriel huffed impatiently.

"Anyone else got Maths first?"

Balthazar and Dean both shook their heads.

"PE," Dean grumbled at the same time as Balthazar proudly stated 'Law."

"PE? Really?" Uriel scoffed. "That's such a dumb subject."

Dean's distaste for the other boy grew. "I don't need smart subjects, besides, I love PE."

"Whatever," Uriel scowled, obviously still hating to be contradicted.

He stalked off and Balthazar and Dean shared a long-suffering look.

"Dick," they said at the same time then laughed, sharing another friendly smile before going to the respective classes.