Chapter 1:

"Butterflies….”

It wasn’t always that Noren spoke. But when he did, he made sure it didn’t make any sense at all.

He looked at his alarm clock, and he realized he was late. He cared neither for his classmates nor his academics, but if he missed todays class, he wouldn’t have enough attendance to write the mid terms. He didn’t want to disappoint his parents after he convinced them he wouldn’t get in trouble for missing classes.

Noren Williams. A 19 year old college student, smart, creative and talented. But for all his abilities, he has a negative outlook to the world and everything around him. Today however will change his life, and the outlook he has carried around his entire life. For today he will realize his true destiny.

He stood up and looked at the mirror. He saw the lean pale boy he has always seen, black wavy hair, thick rimmed black –blue spectacles, wearing a black sweater on top of a blue T shirt and blue jeans along with a pair of used sneakers with a black scarf on his neck. He was wearing a blue bad behind his back although there was only a note to mark down anything important.

“Better get going then… or Lea will kill me”

Lea was his best friend since high school. Technically his only friend since high school. They were the two only loners in the whole campus so they tend to meet regularly in most events, eventually being close enough to be friends. Fact is, she is the only person Noren trusted in his small world.

Lea was standing right outside the door, books in hand, wearing a black scarf covering her face, with a knit cap on top her head. Noren knows he’s not one to talk but he always thought she had an unusual sense of fashion. It’s the middle of December and she is wearing a black skirt and shirt. The only thing he finds different from her outfit to comfort her from the winter cold is the knit cap.

“Noren you are late!”, shouted Lea, a slight frown appearing on her hidden face. Noren grinned. It was always fun teasing her. Her black hair with bits of brown strands rolled off behind her curled at the ends.

“Why do you care? I usually miss the first class anyways! You should have gotten used to it by now.” replied Noren, slapping her on the head while exiting the door.The winter breeze swept over his face."Brr! God Lea! How do you manage with that flimsy skirt?" 

“Don't change the subject!"exclaimed Lea."You told me yesterday that you would be coming this time! Now I am late because of that". They started off to college. Passersby were busy reading the news of the day and getting into cabs. No one was interested in a dull kid and a girl wearing a skirt in the middle of January.

“Well after knowing how unreliable I am for so long, you still trusted me didn’t you doofus?” said Noren as he supported his arm on Lea’s shoulder. Suddenly Noren caught the eye of a granny nearby giving them the eye. He warily took back his arm to homeground.

“By the way, why are you carrying those books in your arm? Don’t tell me theres a test today”asked Noren casually. Noren never needed to study. He usually listened in class or whatever he didn't listen, he makes it up by reading it in a book before going back home. He didn't like poring over books just to pass an exam.

“There IS a test today! I reminded you yesterday night itself! Just because you are already smart enough to avoid studying doesn’t mean you have to show it off!”glaring at Noren with angry eyes. Noren immediatey pulled down her cap. He placed it back properly before he had to witness her poor attempt at fixing it herself with her huge stuffy mittens while carrying her huge books.

“Honestly I just remembered when you told me about it now! I was too sleepy yesterday.”

“At 8:30 in the night?” asked Lea, sounding worried.