iv. ECHO - stressed out

Conner watched his master fix her curly hair in the reflection of herself in a window

Conner watched his master fix her curly hair in the reflection of herself in a window. She wore a long sleeved, white blouse that was unbuttoned right above the swell of her breasts. Her black dress pants hugged her thighs and backside in a way that made Conner question if she was appropriately dressed for the meeting.

The window was placed right above her sink, and as forgetful as his master was, she had left the tap on.

Sighing, she placed a loose curl behind her ear looking down.

"Shit!" She cursed, quickly turning the knob.

Conner observed from the kitchen opening, tilting his head at his creators air-headed behavior. He felt something run through his being. It was an unpleasant feeling, stemming from seeing his creator so disturbed. He'd been feeling this sensation for a while now.

Diamond positioned her arms on the sink, goosebumps poking out of her honey-brown skin.

"Conner..." she paused, gaining his attention— Not that his attention ever left her in the first place.

"This is it," she turned her head to the side, showing off her side profile to him. She pursed her glossed lips before turning around.

"This could make or break my career. You– you have to come through for me." She said, her voice trembling.

Her stress level had risen more than 20% since this morning, Conner thought. It was very unhealthy for his master to be stressing herself out like this. Her sleeping schedule had gotten better, yes, but there wasn't a day that went by where she wasn't frustrated with cyberlife. Even after she made her breakthrough android, himself of course, her stress levels barley seemed to decrease.

Conner's LED went from a solid blue to flashing the deep color.

Was he worried?

No, that was ridiculous. Androids don't have emotions. He was probably just acting this way because Diamond was the woman who created him.

That had to be it.

"Of course, Diamond." Conner replied, holding his hand behind his back. Her name in his artificial tongue sounded foreign to him. It felt oddly intimate saying her first name. "I wouldn't want to embarrass you."

Diamond waved her hand dismissively. "You could never embarrass me."

A sense of pride made its way through Conner's system.

"I've already called a taxi." He started, glancing towards her front door.

"It would be wise to wait outside."