Chapter 1

It was a late night, mid Winter. A young hedgehog, with white fur and yellow stripes similar to Shadow, by the name of John sat in his room practicing his control over his powers. He had all sorts of powers, the ability to levitate and fly, super speed, telekinesis, and the ability to shoot beams of energy out of his hands. How he got such power remained a mystery but he didn't care, he knew that they could serve a purpose if he could learn to use them. So he would spend his time practicing and training trying to master them. As he trained he was surprised by a knock at his door. He walked over to the door and opened it to see an abandoned baby carriage by his feet. He took one final look around to see if anyone was still around before picking up the carriage and moved it inside.

Within the carriage was a shivering baby hedgehog. It had light blue fur, and red eyes that matched the red stripes in its quills. It cheeks stained with tears. John saw a note in one of its little paws and he removed it and read it. "Please take care of this child, he is two months old and has no allergies. I don't have enough money to provide for him." John crumbled up the note and threw it back in the carriage. John grabbed the carriage and put it back outside much to babies cries and urges to stop him. He shut the door and sat down at the table. He knew he couldn't handle a child. He wasn't like others, he wasn't social and friendly. He spent a lot of his life alone after a tragedy that changed his life and made him who he was. He didn't feel compassion or pity. He didn't care about a lot of things. The cub made him remember his past, and his past brought pain. He could hear rain start to fall and cubs desperate cries for help and affection. John knew the combination of the cold and rain would kill the cub over night. A slow painful death.

Guilt began to overcome him. He couldn't let the cub go like that. The cub had done nothing wrong, it had been abandoned. Like him. In a moment something came over him. Grief. Grief for the baby who had been abandoned twice now. He ran to the door and out to the cub. He ripped it from the carriage and hugged it tightly. The cubs crying grew silent. Only tears were left in its eyes, which John wiped away. He brought the cub back inside still hugging it. "You and I, we share something. Abandonment." He said to the soaked cub who was shivering still but looking at him with a small smile. " So I will offer you a life, that I never got." John said and took the cub to the bathroom for a warm bath.

John looked at the cub who now slept soundly in his arms. It was too late at night to get any supplies. And he couldn't leave him alone to get the supplies. But he couldn't take the cub to get the supplies because it would be too difficult. Anger filled him and he set the cub down and punched a hole into the wall. The cub startled from the noise and woken from his nap began to cry. John sat down on the floor holding his head. He really was bad at this. He felt angry about his own recklessness now and how it had woken the sleeping cub. He returned his attention to the cub and gently stroked his quills and rocked him. Something he had seen many times on TV. The cubs crying ceased and John breathed a breath of relief. He carried the cub into his room and gently laid him down on his bed. He then took some extra pillows and surrounded the bed in case he would fall in the night. He covered up the cub with a blanket and then grabbed a spare pillow and blanket for himself. He would sleep on the floor, so he wouldn't risk crushing the cub in his sleep. He laid down and stared into the darkness of the room thinking. "What have I gotten myself into?" And like the cub he fell asleep.