CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE

NICK

His fingers are still shaking.

Nick takes another long drag of his cigarette, inhaling deeply, his worried gaze flickering across to Madison, who lies silently still against the pristine white sheets. He sees a shadow flit across the room and Nick swears violently under his breath, preparing to put out the cigarette.

When nobody comes, Nick lets out a low breath and continues to stare longingly towards Madison.

He's standing next to the window, his arms leaning against the sill so that the smoke doesn't go into the room, his breaths fraught. His heart is still pounding, even after he had torn down the empty hallway to catch Madison as she fell.

He still sees it in his mind. Still sees Madison's soft, lithe figure, cast against the gold light of the sun, as she held herself taut in that way that she usually does. Remembers thinking how curious it was that Madison Sutton, of all people, was walking away from the exam that she'd been so adamant about.

And then she had fallen, like a fragile leaf in autumn.

Nick hadn't thought, had just charged across the hallway to clutch at Madison like a drowning man, his eyes wide. He'd called out to her frantically, but Madison's eyes had been closed.

They hadn't opened since.

Taking a ragged breath that drags him straight to his heart, Nick closes his eyes and presses his lips together, his brows furrowed. The nurse had told him, over his frantic ramblings, the words tumbling out of his mouth without abandon, that Madison was simply lacking in the appropriate nutrients, that were required for a girl her age and that she needed to eat and rest.

It was a classic case of exam stress, the nurse had said.

But Nick can't help thinking how stupid he is.

He knows she doesn't eat. He's seen it, seen the way she pushes away the food, heard the barrage of excuses that fall out of her mouth.

How many times has he called her out on that stupid diet that her mother put her on?

"Put that damned thing out."

Nick spins so fast he gets dizzy.

Madison is groaning and blinking against the bright light. She winces a little as she attempts to pull herself up against the headboard of the bed. He puts out the cigarette in one swift motion, using his elbow to knock the window open, and reaches for Madison immediately. Nick helps Madison sit up, his fingers light against her feverish skin, and she's still shaking under his touch, he realises.

"You idiot," he begins, his voice breathless. "How could you do that to yourself?"

Madison blinks.

"Do what?" She turns her head and Nick sees the flitter of confusion settle against her features, her brows furrowing together. Her voice turns thin and frail as she speaks and so, Madison clears her throat impatiently. "What the hell – why am I here?"

Nick stares at her.

"You fainted," he tells her, almost feverish in his frantic and worried state.

Something flits across her face, but it is too quick and fleeting for Nick to make out. Madison shakes her hair as she attempts to fix herself, her fingers pressing down her crinkled shirt.

"Then what are you doing here?"

"I caught you."

Her head snaps to him and her eyes flash with worry.