PART 3:: CARTER

29

            Some days it seemed that Tyler slipped away from me. She would grip the backs of chairs to prevent herself from collapsing on the floor. But, every time she heard my voice, she always came back to me. It had been nine weeks since she took me to her favorite pond and she hadn't been talking to me. I didn't see her at school either. No one knew where she was, or what she was doing. I was really worried about her. I had gone to her house multiple times but if she was there she didn't answer the door. About two weeks later, Tyler finally showed up at school. She was pale, nearly transparent. She had dark purple circles under her eyes and she had to have gained at least thirty pounds from when I saw her last. She was wearing a sweater, a thick sweater at that, and sweatpants that pooled around her ankles. I only saw her roll up her sleeves once and I saw fresh cuts on her wrists. I approached her at lunch begging her to talk to me. But, she just walked away from me, tears streaming down her face. After school she took off down the sidewalk towards her house. I pulled up behind her and honked. I heard her scream and she fell to the ground. I parked my car on the curb and went out to see if she was okay. She was unconscious when I got to her and she had her razor in her hand. So, I picked her up and took her to the car, lying her down on the back seat. I turned around and drove us to my house, not caring what she would think when she woke up. My mom was going to be out for the next month-and-a-half, so, she obviously wouldn't mind Tyler staying at our house for a few days. I took her up to my room, struggling a lot more than I used  to keep my balance while walking up the stairs. I laid her down on my bed, covering her with a quilt, and I went and sat down on the love-seat, waiting for her to wake up.