chapter seven: first realization

d e r e k

To say I'm confused when Jake drags me downstairs to meet a pretty girl with a bag of cookies is a slight understatement. I didn't question it when Jake dragged me downstairs, even though I probably should have. I figured it was for therapy or something, which I have today. Did he seriously drag me down just to meet a girl?

I'm even more confused, though, when the first thing Jake does when he sees the girl is yell, "Cleo!" I can't help but notice that his eyes (which are now blue, which they always are without his glasses) light up when he sees her, his face splitting into a smile.

George and the girl, Cleo, look up. Cleo's face also breaks into a smile as Jake and her hug tightly, laughing lightly. He pulls away and gestures to the bag of cookies, which is now on the counter, saying, "You actually brought me cookies."

"Well you were whining so much over the phone, I felt like you wouldn't go on if I didn't," she jokes.

Cleo is a pretty girl- shoulder length black hair, loosely curled, with dark, big eyes. She has an air of happiness around her, and a contagious, toothy smile.

Turning to me, she smiles widely and holds out a hand, "Hello! I'm Cleo, what's your name?"

I look to Jake, who gives me a quick nod, and I slowly hold out my hand to her, shaking gently. Cleo's grip is just as loose, thank God, which helps me quietly force out, "My name's Derek."

George pulls Jake aside, whispering something to him, his expression one of panic. In reply, Jake loudly says, "Derek's my friend! He was feeling down so I decided to bring him with me." Jake turns back to me, and easy-going smile on his face, but a sort of desperation in his eyes, as if he's begging me not to get him in trouble. "Right, Derek?"

I cower a little, suddenly very conscious of all the pairs of eyes on him, but manage to choke out, "Yeah, for sure. Jake helped a lot."

George still looks uncertain, eyeing me uncertainly. Cleo, on the other hand, just smiles brightly, "It's so nice to meet you, Derek! Jake here is finally going to give me a tour of the clinic. Do you want to join?"

They all turn to George who sighs tiredly, rubbing his temple from the teenagers. Eventually, he says, "I'm sure that's a great idea, considering Derek would greatly benefit from the practice being around people." He turns to me and says, "If anything, tell Jake and he'll take you back to your room." He now turns to Jake, "He has therapy at one, don't forget."

"I won't," Jake promises. He hugs George tightly, and George just fondly rolls his eyes, ruffling his foster son's hair. Jake lets go, smiling brightly, and giving George a quick salute before they begin to head upstairs. I can't help but notice that there's a sort of sad smile on Cleo's face from the scene, but it's quickly replaced with a bright one when Jake takes her hand.

"So this is the main floor," Jake tells Cleo, nuzzling her neck and bumping her hip. Cleo rolls her eyes affectionately. 

"I sort of got that, Jake," she snorts.

I can't help but smile at the two. I've never really had a girlfriend that lasted longer than a month, and even those relationships were a couple of awkward weeks filled with sweaty hand holding and pecks on the cheeks. Jake and Cleo are nothing like my old relationships- they actually seem to like each other.

We start to go upstairs when Jake turns to me, "You might want to listen close. Has anybody given you a tour yet, kid?"

Cleo nudges him, "He's the same age as you, dork."

"Not yet," I answer Jake, my hands playing with the hem of my shirt. 

"Then just stay close," he tells me with a reassuring smile. "We're probably going to avoid the adult floors, because they scare me, and stick with the teenager compound. Maybe watch some TV. Hopefully we'll bump into Danny on the way."