Chapter One

Sometimes it lasts in love but sometimes it hurts instead

~Adele

(Unedited)

{Clarys POV}

My hands fidget in my lap, clasping and unclasping around the open envelope so often that it's now well thumbed rather than crisp and expensive looking.

My stomach hadn't done so many flips in its life, but that could be from anything right? We were about to land and flights always make me nervous. It didn't help that the bloated man next to me was sleeping so heavily that he didn't hear the seatbelt announcement and was restricting me from properly securing my own.

But it wasn't that was it?

The airport is cool, almost freezing cold when i land and attempt to drag my heavy suitcase through the crowds of people. JFK was busy all year round but in the middle of June it was packed with tourists. Then again, at least it wasn't christmas.

"Clary!" I hear her before i see her and she comes charging at me nearly tackling me to the ground, her arms and legs around me. My case forgotten i cling to her, breathing her in like a complete weirdo because I've realised that's exactly what you become when you miss people. You notice things you hadn't before.

"Isabelle." I mumble into her hair and she's laughing so hard she's crying and climbs down. I don't even notice the tears on my own face till she's detached herself "My god, I've missed you." I sniff and she wipes at her face, completely clear of make-up probably because she knew it would get ruined.
I know mine is.

"Come on, come on, come on, we're on a strict time schedule." She grabs my hand and i barely manage to take the handle of my case again before she's dragging me like a small child.
"Izzy! Stop before you yank it off this case is heavy!"

"That's why I've brought muscle!" She exclaims behind her and apon exiting the airport i see she isn't lying.

The last time i saw Alec Lightwood in person was eight years ago and was still very much a shy seventeen year old. He smiles, his hands tucked casually into his jean pockets and his white shirt rolled up to the elbows. His hair was shorter now and well maintained that progressed into a tidy, short beard. My face breaks out into a smile and i leave Isabelle with my bag to run at him like he had me just minutes before.

Both of his strong arms come around me and I'm crushed against a rock hard chest and just notice that all of him is well-built, breathing in his cologne and feeling him shake with a deep chuckle.

"Clarissa, look at you gorgeous." He kisses the top of my head like a protective big brother and i look up at him at the ocean blue of his eyes.
"Me? Look at you Alec you're, you're-"

"Grown up?" He smirks in a way that makes my heart ache.
"Well i was going to say hot but sure." I tease and he shakes his head letting me go

"Hey! That's still my brother you know." Isabelle makes an 'I'm watching you' motion with her fingers as she passes him the bag
"Seriously though, the welcome party is in five hours so let's get a move on." She clicks her fingers and saunters in the direction i'm sure their car is parked.