Chapter 2 - The Gala {}

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Melanie pushed me towards my bathroom to get changed. Thankfully I had managed to sleep in until the afternoon before a terrifying Melanie pounded on my door demanding I get up. I had obviously thrown a fit because I didn't take long to get ready but she dragged me out of my warm and cosy bed regardless.

I slipped into my red dress and looked at myself in the mirror. My nails were done to match the deep colour of the dress. The dress itself was gorgeous, it showed a little cleavage, but it flowed down and accented my curves well.  The dress then flared out at the bottom creating a small train behind me. This was almost like an extended mermaid tail. My long brown hair was curled to add volume and my make-up was done perfectly. The nude eye shadow that was applied made my hazel green eyes pop out but it was all-natural - which is how I liked my make-up to be done.

I stepped out of the bathroom and saw Melanie waiting for me on my bed.

"You look hot!" Melanie complimented and I smiled at her. I had just slipped on my red dress and she was now checking me for any flaws.

"Thanks, you do too!" I said complimenting her.

Melanie was wearing a baby pink dress that was also long, it had a slit up her left leg and it also made her blue eyes pop. Her make-up was also natural and didn't look like it was caked on. Her nails were also the same colour as her dress and they also had a few black flower stickers stuck on them.

"Let's get going!" She said as she moved to walk out of my room.

We hailed a cab since Melanie didn't want to take her car. We were supposed to get 'wasted' on the free alcohol and she also wanted me to meet some hot dude that worked where she did. According to her, I had spent enough years mopping over my ex and now it was time to 'hunt for new blood' - her words not mine.

Melanie worked at one of the most successful technology companies. She planned and mapped out the new models for all the new devices. She also did some programming which she had an obsession with when she was in high school, however she did not wish to pursue that in college. Hawthorne Technology was the name of the company but the devices that were produced had HT on them. The HT brand was well known. It was the best brand and globally famous. Even I owned one.

"Wow! this is beautiful!" I say and smiled looking around the massive hall. We had arrived at the gala and there were quite a few guests here already.

"Yeah, I know, I helped to organise all of this." She said proudly.

The theme was red, gold and black. I felt like I fit in right away with my red dress. Even though I generally hated events like this, this one I had fun at.

I went to the bathroom with Melanie so that she could touch up my make-up. When we returned to the hall the opening speech was over and music was playing. Melanie introduced me to some of her friends at work, Samantha, Leigh Anne and Louis. They were all great and welcomed me instantly.

Louis had complimented me about a million times before he finally stopped. He was however very sweet and I immediately picked up that he had some sort of feelings for my best friend because he hovered by her all the time. Melanie was blind to all his advances. The night passed on with great success. Melanie and her friends had convinced me to drink and I was pretty certain that I was tipsy.

I was holding my last drink of the night, a weird gold colour substance, that Melanie handed me. I grabbed my phone and saw that she was calling me which then in turn caused me to turn around and walk smack bang into a wall. That was what I thought too, most likely because I had been drinking a little too much.