Chapter 2: For Caesar

We were all in Ruby's living room waiting for some mystery person to come over and help me get ready for the party tonight. An hour went by of us just sitting there in our thoughts and I began to grow impatient.
"When the hell is this person finna get here?" I stood up, breaking the silence.
"She'll be here any minute now. You just gotta be patient." Ruby replied as if he told me for the 100th time.
"Well she needs to show up soon, cause I ain't got time to be waiting this long for nobody." As soon as those words left my mouth the front door flung open.
"Sup bitches! Jasmine in the building!"
"JASMINE!!" I shouted excitedly jumping in her arms, making her drop the bags she had in her hands. Jasmine is my bitch! Me and her have always clicked since the day we met and no matter what, I know this girl will always have my back. She's my ride or die and I consider her the sister I never had.
"Mariah gurll! I fuckin missed you! I got so much chisme I need to tell you! So like, remember that guy Tony I used to mess with? Well tell me why I caught him and this puta...."
"Alright! Alright! You can catch up with her later, but right now she doesn't have time! The party literally starts in 2 hours and she doesn't even have an outfit yet!" Ruby interrupted. I forgot all about the party and now the nervousness was starting to get to me.
"Don't triiippp Ruby... ya gurl Jasmine has got this all under control," then she turned to me, "Come on girl! I got somethin that'll make a vato drop his 40 when he sees you!" Before I could even respond, she was pulling me to the bathroom. For the first time, my confidence in this plan began to grow. I knew what Jasmine was capable of...

3 1/2 Hours Later....
"Cmon guys! The party started an hour ago! We'll never pull this off if you can't even make it out the bathroom Mariah!!" Ruby yelled through the door.
"You can't rush perfection Mi Amor!" Jasmine yelled back. "Besides, nobody shows up to a party on time! Everybody knows the real party don't start until an hour later. So we're basically early!"

Ruby grunted in defeat "Ugh! Girls!" He rolled his eyes and plopped down on the couch.

To be honest, we were in that bathroom for a long time but I was almost done. The only problem was that Jasmine wouldn't let me look at myself either. She didn't even let me get a good look of my outfit when I put it on. So I was just as curious as everyone else. I knew I looked good but I was hoping I looked good enough...

"And... you... areee... done!" Jasmine said putting the final touches on my make-up. The butterflies crept up inside me. I stood up from the toilet seat and she looked me up and down. "Biiiitch! I did good!" by the look on her face I knew she ate that. I turned to look in the mirror but she pulled me away. "Ah...ah..ah... no peeking until the rest of them see you first!" I rolled my eyes. "Fiiinneeeee." I said a little annoyed but since this was my girl Jasmine I trusted her better judgment.

"CAN YOU TWO PLEASE..." Ruby shouted and just then the bathroom door flung open revealing my transformation. All eyes were on me. Even Ruby's grandma (who we all called "Abuelita") stopped what she was doing to admire my appearance. The room was quiet and they all just stared in shock.

"Well... How do I look?"

"Wow!" Everyone said in unison.

"Why don't you have a look for yourself?" Jasmine said turning me towards the body mirror in the living room. To say I was gonna be the baddest bitch at the party was an understatement. My make up was beat to perfection, my hair was slayed. She even got my baby hairs swerved right!

"Jasmine, you did that shit!" I said still admiring myself

"Duhh gurl don't you know who I am?! You boutta have Spooky and ALL his vatos crawling over you. Make sure to send some of them my way cause ya girl is starting to grow cob webs down there..." This bitch always makes me laugh.

"OOOKAAYYYY..." Ruby interrupted with a disgusted look "... As much as we'd love to hear about Jasmine's vaginal loneliness; operation 'seduce spooky' was supposed to start an hour and a half ago!"

"Alright! Lets go thennnn! Let me find my purse and phone!" Abuelita decided that she would drop me off and I would call when it was time to get picked up. If things went as planned, Spooky would be the one dropping me off instead.

Everyone made their way outside but before I stepped out the door, I felt someone lightly grab my arm.
It was Caesar; who looked uneasy.
"It's gonna be alright Caesar." I knew he was still uncomfortable with our plan and if he had it his way, there would be no plan to begin with.
"You don't have to do this Mariah. I know my brother, he's not easy to persuade. This plan isn't going to work despite what you or anyone else thinks. He made up his mind a long time ago." My heart broke a little from the certainty in his eyes.
They were dark brown and no matter how much he smiled, you could tell just by looking in them that he's seen things no one his age should've. Spooky's eyes were the same, but Caesar's were sadder while Spooky's were emptier.
I love Jamal and we have our own special bond, but he wasn't exactly the person you could tell your secrets to. With Oscar being "Spooky", it made it nearly impossible for Caesar to confide in him. So naturally, Caesar and I found ourselves confiding in each other instead. There wasn't anything I couldn't tell him and there wasn't anything he couldn't tell me... that was our bond.
Yet when I moved away for college, we talked less and less everyday. Until one day we eventually just stopped talking in general. A part of me feels responsible for his situation because if I stayed home or just made more time to talk to him, he wouldn't be in this mess in the first place. I shouldn't have left for college, especially since I dropped out anyway.
This is all my fault, I should've been a better sister to him.

But that's why I won't stop trying to get him out of this mess. No matter what, I will make sure that Caesar's safe.
"Don't worry about it Caesar. Your big sis has got this. Have a little faith in me. Besides, it gives me an excuse to see Spooky again after all these years." I smiled. A smirk crept on his face and for the first time since I got back, there was a tiny spark of faith in his eyes.
"Okay Compa, whatever you say. You look beautiful by the way. I know Oscar will love it." He opened the front door for me to walk through. I stepped out with more confidence in this mission than I had before.
This was going to work, it had to work... for Caesar.