Small Fire

"Small fire! I said to set a small fire! This is not small!!" I screamed in panic.

Lleyton and I had been on a school camping trip, but after a few run ins with some angry bears, a flood in our campsite, and a loss of vital materials, we had been split from the rest of the group. Luckily, in these situations, I knew exactly what to do... just not how to do them. At least, I thought I knew that first part.

"Compared to the fires I've seen, this is small!" he yelled back to me. Despite the fact that he may have just cost us our lives, he still managed to throw a comment like this at me. Only Lleyton would have the nerve to break seriousness in a situation like this. I guess that's why he was my best friend; opposites do attract, after all.

We had no time to waste; the fire was growing larger and flickering brighter with every passing second. I was sure that the end of my life was within a few short moments if we didn't control this fire quick.

"Well, do you know how to put out a small fire" I panted. I'd never been in such an urgent situation with him before.

"Of course not, but we can try!" he said with a smirk. This was no time for smirks, we were going to die.

I ran. I didn't know what I was running to or for, but I ran. Nothing was going to be accomplished with Lleyton in charge, and I had nothing else left to do. Anxious tears beat down my face as I was thinking of all the worst possible outcomes. What if Lleyton was back there, dead? What if leaving him was my mistake? What if he's alive, and he's hating me for the stupid decision I just made? What if? What if? What if? This was all my mind was made of.

Eventually I made it far enough away to feel safe. I found a small pile of leaves, and in the setting sun, I rested. In the distance, I could no longer see the smoke in the sky, or the flames rising higher and higher, like I had observed throughout my entire escape. What if Lleyton hadn't made it out alive.

I don't know how much time had past before I finally heard the familiar sound of leaves under footsteps. It had felt like centuries, but I knew that wasn't possible.

"Miss me yet?" His voice. In the shadows of the night, Lleyton appeared. All my fear had deteriorated.