Chapter 3

~ Kehlani POV ~

~ 4 years ago ~

"Your grades are just terrible..." my aunt said while holding my papers. She threw them across the room. Some of them even disappeared underneath the radiator. "What the fuck is your problem?" I asked her annoyed, trying to find my missing papers. "What do you think niño?" she replied in the most envy voice. I can't stand her calling me out like that. "I'm not a kid anymore, so don't treat me like one!" I yelled back. She needed to know that it was enough. I'm really trying my best at school, but I just don't have the brains to be a doctor or a lawyer or whatever she wants me to be. Sorry to be such a disappointment, but all I care about is my happiness and not someone else's. 

"Excuse me? Go and find your own place to stay for tonight. I don't want you here when you treat me disrespectfully. Qué verguenza!" she said and threw some clothes at me. "Fine, whatever." I mumbled softly and grabbed everything that I could carry. 

I really needed to see Carlos...

I walked outside and searched for my bike. It's the most ugly looking bike in whole Oakland, so it can't be that hard to find. It took me a few minutes, but I finally found it. "Ah there you are sexy thang" I said while trying to pull it out of the bushes. I kept pulling, but my bike seemed to be stuck in a few branches and roots underneath the bushes. "Damn it... just what I need" I mumbled and kicked the wheel of my bike. 

Then I heard some sort of annoying laughter. That must be him. 

"Let me" he said and helped me with my bike. He had some sort of knife with him and managed to literally slay the branches and roots. "There you go hermana" he whispered and tapped my shoulder. "Don't touch me" I sternly replied and pulled the handlebar out of his hands. "Hello to you too Lani. What's going on?" he asked and made himself comfortable on the ground. "I have no place to stay tonight, so I wanna go out and get wasted" I said and made myself comfortable on the ground as well. 

He nodded. "That's what I thought. I heard the fight between you and your aunt, but why do you wanna get wasted? This doesn't sound like you" he said and gently rubbed my back. I looked at him, which made me kinda smile. Carlos and I are neighbours for as long as I can remember. I've basically known him my whole life and he always looks out for me. He protects me like I'm his little sister, but he also knows when to let me make my own mistakes. Like today for example. 

"Just get me the fake ID Carlos. I know what I'm doing" I mumbled and pushed him playfully. "Whatever you say señora" he replied and stood up. He helped me to get on my feet as well and walked towards his house. I decided to wait against the oak tree, which was at the end of our street. This oak tree will be the beginning of a new adventure and that's exactly what I need right now. I can take care of myself you know? And I'm about to prove that it will work out just fine. 

~ a few hours later ~

"What is this club even called?" I asked myself and looked around the place. The fake ID has brought me inside almost eight clubs so far. They all sucked by the way. I'm kinda trying to find some place where I can explore my sexual interests. I've known my whole life that I felt more for woman than for men, but back in Oakland I really can't tell anyone yet. Not even Carlos. My aunt will never accepts it and I can't take any risks with her. Not again... 

After a few hours I finally found something that seemed to be the right place. It was sternly guarded, so I needed to get my game on. "You seem a little too young for this bar lady" the bouncer said to me. Shit. What should I do? Okay... fuck it. Let me take a risk here. "Why don't you take a better look at my ID idiot? Or should I inform Kevin. I've heard that he's your boss now right? What would he do if I told him that you're harassing me?" I said full of confidence and wrapped my arms around each other. This better turns out right. Kevin is a friend of Carlos and I he knows I'm full of shit at this point. He would kick me out instantly, but it's a risk and my only way of getting in.