10 | susurrus

10

S U S U R R U S » a low sound, as of whispering or muttering or a quiet wind; a whisper or rustling

VIRAT

"You're an idiot." 

Anushka was in no position to talk, for she had embraced the ground with a fall while trying to carry the suitcase across the porch. I always knew she tended to gravitate on the ground a tad bit more than normal but right now wasn't the correct time to find her body scrawled across the middle of the grass.

Sometimes, I really wished that I could be able to walk when I found ourselves in situations like these. If she falls, then I should be able to magically appear in the spot like a hero, and then hold her in my arms. I could barely be able to stand, after straining myself through the routine exercise, and this device fixed on my leg sucked big time.

I heard her grunt, clearly straining herself when she tried to up, and ignoring the gravity of what had just happened to her. "Virat, I'm going to be alright. Nothing's broken, that I know of, which is all that counts. So stop taunting."

I rolled my eyes, stretching out my arm for her, so that she could pull herself over from the grass. But instead, I found her scoffing, and palming her hand against the ground to get up. I rolled my eyes again. Stop being so fucking stubborn.

I saw her walking towards the door, wearing that grass-stained white top she had worn from Mumbai. For someone who was going to meet her future mother-in-law, Anushka was just too brave – standing with her hands perched on her hips. 

I wheeled myself to the door, and Anu pressed the door bell, looking at me with a dim, weak smile. I could see the shadows that passed over her eyes, almost as if she was afraid for us, our relationship, everything.

The clicking of door played a distraction as I shifted my gaze towards the person who opened it - my mom, of course. It felt as though she had pinned herself against the door in the anticipation and waiting for us. 

I smiled weakly while all she did was wrap her hands around me, coiling me in for a squishy hug. "I missed you so much, Vir." she whispered, not letting me go.

"I missed you too, Mom. So much." I replied, a smile involuntarily forming on my lips. "But you're going to hug me to death."

She pulled away with a knot in between her furrowed eyebrows. "Dare you talk about accidents and death anymore," she warned, before her eyes shifted towards Anushka. I pressed my lips together for a close-lipped smile when I saw Shaili fiddling with her fingers – something so oddly amusing for a person who going all pouncing over me like a lioness. "You must be Anushka. Virat couldn't stop talking about you while on Skype."

I opened my mouth agape resembling like a goldfish before closing it immediately. She had to pick up on that one damned thing out of all things she could. "What happened to you?"

I flashed her a sarcastic smile as I nudged her arm, "the first name I gave her was Miss. Two-Left Feet. She loves falling around, and giving our Mother Earth the delight the much required embracing."

Anushka looked at me wryly, "You can cut down the exercise which you've been giving to your facial muscles and your mouth." An unexpected retort came from her, leaving mom amused.

Mom smiled, much to my delight. "I love her officially."  

We went inside, and while Anushka got inside to get herself changed, mom and I have our moment. It felt so good to be around her, finally – with no guilt, no pain, no despair. We talked about all the moments we've been missing on without being around each other. It reminded me of the time when I would return from my tours after serving my duties on the field.